Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

would some owners and experts please have a look on this Yanagisawa Soprano SC991 and try to assess whether its a genuine or a fake one.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...on-yanagisawa-s-991-hoch-g/1252818358-74-9065

It's in my town, so I can check it out but I'd like to know what to pay attention to to spot a fake (of course besides the intrinsic "saxophonistic qualities" such as response, intonation, timbre, ... ).

Thanks to all.
H♪♫♪

·
Registered
58 Posts
This may or may not be a fake. It is probably more into luring a buyer into spending money in a none secure way without delivering goods. I just had contacted on quoka.de the seller of a Yanagisawa B901 that is very close to where I live. Price would have been a real bargain. No name was given, reply to my mail last night at 2:05 am was in less than fluent German asking for my email adress to provide further pictures. Again no name of seller given. Meanwhile the advertisement has been taken down. I am waiting for a response to my request to play test it. Don't think there will be a response, though.

Alphorn

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
It is not an SC991 at all, which would be a curved soprano. However, the ad actually says it's an S991. So the seller is accurate in that respect.

The sax looks authentic to me in these photos, which are OK but not the best shots possible. But if you're not confident that you can distinguish a genuine from a fake Yany even after examining the horn in person, think twice about buying one, or else stick with reputable dealers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Direct your attention to the 'bracket' arrangement for the attachment of the palm keys where you have a folded brass fixture soldered to the horn with two palm keys mounted to it. This is common on Taiwan/Chinese saxes but is not used on premium saxes (Big 4). Now, I'm not a Yanagisawa expert so I will stand corrected if wrong, but just go look at some actual Yanis and see if you don't find standard post and pin attachment for the palms.
BTW, the 'bracket' attachment system is awful, and the palms will get loose in a hurry with it. Its just a cheaper/quicker way of doing things on a cheap instrument.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Direct your attention to the 'bracket' arrangement for the attachment of the palm keys where you have a folded brass fixture soldered to the horn with two palm keys mounted to it. This is common on Taiwan/Chinese saxes but is not used on premium saxes (Big 4). Now, I'm not a Yanagisawa expert so I will stand corrected if wrong, but just go look at some actual Yanis and see if you don't find standard post and pin attachment for the palms.
BTW, the 'bracket' attachment system is awful, and the palms will get loose in a hurry with it. Its just a cheaper/quicker way of doing things on a cheap instrument.
That's the way they are on Yanagisawa Sops, I have one here and it's not a Chinese/Taiwan copy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Wow. I didn't know they did it too. That explains why the cheap ones do it since they are usually pretty good copies.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
Standard on older Yanys. They do not loosen up under even hard use in my experience. Decades even. I do not like the bent straps either, but they are solid. At least on Yanys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all! Quick update here:

- yes it's about a S991 (not SC), that was my typing mistake
- the seller never answered my email (even though that would be the easiest way to for him to sell the horn as he pretends to be in the same town)
- i found the same horn, same advertising and photos, closed about 10 days ago, in Switzerland, 2600€, which would be more about the realistic price

My conclusion: ********, someone is trying to land a big scam here.

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more update: the acount from the seller was shut down by the platform and they warned me by email about that seller. Justice !!!!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
One more update: the acount from the seller was shut down by the platform and they warned me by email about that seller. Justice !!!!
Good.

I think this episode shows that with used saxes, the biggest scam risk is not always getting a fake Yany/Selmer/Yamaha made in China; that's more of a new-sax problem. A very easy scam to implement with used horns is just to try to sell an instrument that you don't actually have. If you "borrow" photos of a genuine horn, of course it will look genuine. Then the only difficulty is persuading someone to send/give you the money before seeing the sax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts