Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really lucked out this time. Getting a new horn for me seems to create a mpc search that can last weeks if not months, or years. I've been playing a Selmer Supersession in an I opening and a metal Link in a 6* on a TT with Rico Jazz Selects 2H. They both worked pretty good on the SC901 I recently got, but was curious if I could do better, so I ordered a Meyer hard rubber in a 5, a Yani hard rubber in a 5, and a Bari in a 60.

The winner is the Bari. The first day I thought it was going to be the Meyer. The second day I was thinking of just staying with the Selmer. The third day it became clear that the Bari was the best for me. Some of the reasons are that it seems to have the best tone to me over the whole range of the horn, the highest notes I can play sound clearer, it plays more solid and easier down to the lowest Bb, I get the best harmonic response, jumping between octaves, and the intonation is excellent.

Interestingly the choice of lig seemed to make a difference too. The Bari comes with an okay lig, but I found that a regular brass Selmer two screw lig worked the best with it. Other ligs I had for comparison were a Vandoren Optimum and a Rovner with a window cut out on it. I cut a window out to experiment with it on the Super Session, but on the Bari one of the railings ends up being half off the mpc. I bought another one on ebay because I did like the Rovner a lot, but haven't gotten it yet. It seemed to take a bit of the edge of stuff above G2.

I liked the Yana mpc the least in my tests. The Meyer was very good, but my second choice would be to stay with the Supersession. It will be interesting to see what happens at the jam tonight. I definitely plan on playing the Bari, but will bring the Supersession for a backup. Check out a Bari if you get a chance, but as with anything saxophone related, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To follow up, I played the Bari mpc at the jam last night, and it worked great. I didn't even think about trying anything else. My tone was solid with it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a Bari 0.64 and I never felt totally comfortable. I'm using two mouthpieces now on my Yani SC901: a wood Lebayle 7 and a Super Session E (my main piece). Both are working very good on the Yani. High notes are MUCH easier to play with the Selmer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
When I bought my Bari 68 I also tried a 64 and a 72. The 68 had that special balance in response throughout the range. Now that I've compared it to some other good soprano mpcs--Yani metal, Super Session J, Jody Jazz Classic--it is still the best soprano piece in my collection. I'm playing Hemke 2.5 reeds on it. I can get all the way up into the alt range and drop straight down to a low Bb with good intonation and a pretty even tone the whole way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts