Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchase a S992 from Dave Kessler. It should arrive in the mail Wednesday. While doing research on the horn, I have noticed that the front F key looks different on some pics. An elongated front F is common, but I also see a more flat, almost triangular shaped front F on many pics (including the one I purchased).

Has Yanagisawa changed the front F key on the S991/992? I can't find any literature that says they have. If so, which is the newer front F key?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I recommend that you consider this issue after you've actually received your horn and can look at the front F key from every angle. Then, if you still have a question, you should post photos here to clarify your inquiry. I'm pretty familiar with Yanagisawa designs, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. There have been several different front F styles over the years. You need to narrow it down to yours and exactly what you're comparing it to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts
I recommend that you play the horn.

Seriously, of the many horns that I have, I couldn't tell you, without looking, which horns have what particular front-F geometry. With a reasonable amount of time on most any horn, mechanical differences disappear as you develop familiarity with the horn.

Enjoy that sop - Yanagisawas are among the best (I've owned several).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recommend that you consider this issue after you've actually received your horn and can look at the front F key from every angle. Then, if you still have a question, you should post photos here to clarify your inquiry. I'm pretty familiar with Yanagisawa designs, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. There have been several different front F styles over the years. You need to narrow it down to yours and exactly what you're comparing it to.
Thank you, Dr G. I've already played the horn at PM Woodwinds in Evanston, IL. outside of Chicago. I'm simply interested in an answer to my primary question. The photos are attached. Here's a link to the one with an elongated design: http://www.yanagisawasax.co.jp/e_products/view/142/S-992.

Thanks again for trying to help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I've already played the horn at PM Woodwinds in Evanston, IL. outside of Chicago. I'm simply interested in an answer to my primary question. The photos are attached. Here's a link to the one with an elongated design: http://www.yanagisawasax.co.jp/e_products/view/142/S-992.

Thanks again for trying to help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LostConn: Thank you for the feedback. See thread above.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the front-F touch shown in the first photo is going to be what is on your S992. I recently bought a new A-W01 and its front-F is a crescent-like lever - a definite curve as opposed to the almost solid-bar look of the second photo. I guess we'll know soon enough, eh? DAVE

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I believe that what you refer to as the "elongated" key is the older design. I think it was a transitional style used before Yanagisawa sopranos adopted the sculpted front F used on the altos and tenors. I have a Yani SC901B from about 2003, and it has the sculpted front F key.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the front-F touch shown in the first photo is going to be what is on your S992. I recently bought a new A-W01 and its front-F is a crescent-like lever - a definite curve as opposed to the almost solid-bar look of the second photo. I guess we'll know soon enough, eh? DAVE
The WO altos and tenors modified the front F key yet again, although more subtly this time. It's still a sculpted key, but is a little different from the front F on the 9xx horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
I've had a number of different Yanagisawa saxophones over time and never paid attention to how the front F was shaped. All I know is that when I hit that "touch", the F3 played. From behind the horn, they all felt okay to me. DAVE

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchase a S992 from Dave Kessler. It should arrive in the mail Wednesday. While doing research on the horn, I have noticed that the front F key looks different on some pics. An elongated front F is common, but I also see a more flat, almost triangular shaped front F on many pics (including the one I purchased).

Has Yanagisawa changed the front F key on the S991/992? I can't find any literature that says they have. If so, which is the newer front F key?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
If you scroll down on the page that you linked, in the "Features" section
It shows the "Adjustable Front F key" design .. so there's your documentation you're looking for ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve, thanks for the feedback. Yes, I see that. But you do get the point that the website photo of the front F key is different from the sculpted design that is prevalent now? See LostConn's post. I guess the point is that Yanagisawa needs to update their literature and photos to reflect what they're producing.

One reason I started this thread is that I have an Antigua SS4790RLQ Soprano that is supposed to be a computer copy of the S991. I noticed that the front F key design on the Antigua looks different (longer and narrow) than some of the photos of the S991/992 front F. The S991 and 992 are supposed to be identical except the S992 body is made of bronze.

So as I started to research the horn, I realized that the retailer and Yanagisawa website photos of the horn were ambiguous — both front F designs are shown throughout the Internet, but the older design is more prevalent. I know that my horn has the sculpted design because I have photos of that specific instrument. I thought that perhaps there were two versions of the Yanagisawa, but there was no literature confirming a revision of the key or an update of the model. I think Yanagisawa is using an old pic even though they have obviously changed the geometry of the front F key. I assume that both versions of the key are adjustable though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LostConn — I believe you are correct. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave — I get it. I don't really care which design they use either, unless one is better ergonomically than the other. I just want the information of what I'm purchasing to be up-to-date and accurate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LostConn — Understood. Thanks again!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave — you are correct. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I've had a number of different Yanagisawa saxophones over time and never paid attention to how the front F was shaped. All I know is that when I hit that "touch", the F3 played. From behind the horn, they all felt okay to me. DAVE
My favorite front F key (on any horn, not just Yanagisawas) is probably the one on my A990µB. It's a big oval pearl -- not a flat pearl like on vintage horns, but rather half an ovoid. It's easy to roll onto, and it looks cool.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Not to derail the thread but related to Yanagisawa. I noticed a Yanagisawa Prima alto sax on E Bay and was interested. I have been playing a year and instructor is recommending a step up horn from my YAS 23 so I have been researching.

Thoughts...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191784222988?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
There's a big dent in the bow. Don't buy it.

Also, although I don't know where you are located, surely you can find a used Yanagisawa alto somewhere closer than Japan. If I were you, I'd set my budget a little higher, and look for a used A900, A900µ, or A901 in excellent condition. The A880/A990/A990µ/A991 horns are great too if you want their extra features, but will cost a little more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many thanks! I am in Canada.....And there are dealers closer but not many in the community I live. I will be going to Toronto soon and may play test some there. The limitation, for me, is distance. But I am not in a big hurry. But will continue exploring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts