Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Actually my main and foremost love is the Tenor - I recently fell for an offer on a Yanagisawa s500 Soprano from 1982 - with a Link *5 mouthpiece.
I plan on having it in 'stock' and just play a little in between the Tenor playing.
I have tried trawling the net to find out more about this particular soprano - just out of curiosity.
Anybody has a link to or some info on the instrument?
Thanx
John Philip

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hello everyone,
Actually my main and foremost love is the Tenor - I recently fell for an offer on a Yanagisawa s500 Soprano from 1982 - with a Link *5 mouthpiece.
I plan on having it in 'stock' and just play a little in between the Tenor playing.
I have tried trawling the net to find out more about this particular soprano - just out of curiosity.
Thanx
John Philip

Hi John.

I think you will find that what you own is an S6. If you look at some old SOTW threads on the Yanagisawa page you should find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thanx
John Philip

Hi John.

I think you will find that what you own is an S6. If you look at some old SOTW threads on the Yanagisawa page you should find what you are looking for.

This is just one of them- http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?155697-praise-for-the-forgotten-s6-soprano

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
John: I'd like to se a more detailed description of your "S500" before commenting further. For instance, is your soprano designed like the Selmer MKVI? Or is it more like the current sopranos from Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, R&C, etc. (meaning design of the palm keys, location of the bell pads)?

I'm guessing that ManEast has it right, based on what I've owned over the years. DAVE

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Yanagisawa s500 Soprano - quick pics - 01

First set of fast done pics - The price included case, Lnk Tone Edge *5 and VanDoren lig - to compare a Yanagisawa S-901 is 40% more expensive - and that's just the sax.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a scratch/dent above the strap ring - from the strap sliding on the metal - otherwise as new - the tech has plugged it apart - and adjusted, oiled and stuck it back together again. The pads are as good as new - cannot see that they have been worn at all

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The case has a small dent in one corner - material worn out and case sticking through - nothing alarming that could not be fixed easily with a little glue and some 'retouche'

Kind regards

John Philip

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The case has a small dent in one corner - material worn out and case sticking through - nothing alarming that could not be fixed easily with a little glue and some 'retouche'

Kind regards

John Philip
Hi John

Its very,very Nice and not an S6...so if your date is right that would make it an S800

In 1982 your S800 would have been Yanagisawa's (one piece) top/pro model Sop.
(with Blue springs, Gold/lac and real Mother of pearl.)

The S880 was the first sop to have two necks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tks - sounds like I actually have done a good deal..
More Q's: I use a metal *5 Link and VanDoren Classic/Blue '3' on the Tenor - and am very happy with that - how would your immidiate reaction be if I told you I would be trying the pictured Soprano OL Tone Edge *5 with VanDoren Jazz '2' / '2,5' reeds.
I know the embouchure is frightfully more narrow/tight on the Soprano than on the Tenor - but so far - dabbling as a beginner on the Sop, I feel fairly at home with it (and I know that there's no 'shortcuts' to playing any tenor - but still: your opinion as to how you think the two 'fits' together would be appreciated)?
John Philip

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Tks - sounds like I actually have done a good deal..
More Q's: I use a metal *5 Link and VanDoren Classic/Blue '3' on the Tenor - and am very happy with that - how would your immidiate reaction be if I told you I would be trying the pictured Soprano OL Tone Edge *5 with VanDoren Jazz '2' / '2,5' reeds.
I know the embouchure is frightfully more narrow/tight on the Soprano than on the Tenor - but so far - dabbling as a beginner on the Sop, I feel fairly at home with it (and I know that there's no 'shortcuts' to playing any tenor - but still: your opinion as to how you think the two 'fits' together would be appreciated)?
John Philip
Q? How long have you been playing Tenor ? What kind of music are you playing/Who is your Sound Model? ie Dexter Gordon ?

I play a 7* on Tenor and a 7 on Sop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This looks like a S901. Never seen a S800 with modern palm keys. what's the s/n? Could be a SS2100

·
14,268 Posts
Yes, you've obtained a good soprano, alright - ANY Yanagisawa soprano is a good one, from their earlier models right up to current issue. I own three of them - all wonderful players.

The differences between the horn depicted in your photos and the horn depicted in the eBay auction are significant. The horn in your photos is of the modern soprano design - just like my S901. Yanagisawa's S-6 was an older model; it looked like a Selmer MKVI with the in-line palm keys and the bell pads positioned on the upper side of the tube. The horn in your photos has the modern left-pinky cluster, the bell pads on the underside of the tube, and the forked palm keys.

I recall Yanagisawa going through a myriad of model designations over the years. It seems they have finally settled on a scheme that makes sense and appears consistent. Early sops were the S-6, then there were the 2100 models, the Elimonas, etc., and finally the S, A, T, B three-digit numbers. Of course sellers may mix up those designations, not knowing what they have.

As far as mouthpieces, go with what works for you, not what we use or recommend. Trying to obtain someone else's sound by using what they use is nearly impossible. The horn's sound (assuming the horn is solid) comes from the player and his set-up. Finding the right set-up may take a while and involve some effort, but when you find it, you will know it. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
John Philip
Sounds like a fine place to start, John - especially if it is working for you.

As to the tenor/sop thing - to me, it's a natural. I've been doing it for 40 years. I cannot easily relate to what comes out of the Eb instruments (alto/bari) and am most comfortable thinking/hearing/playing in Bb.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S/N: S-00161029 - and it had an original bill of sales (although uninformative as to model - but with same s/n as horn) in the inside pocket - a 1982 model
Thanx for the tips everyone!!!

Kindest

John Philip

·
14,268 Posts
I'm wondering about that receipt, if the receipt is dated 1982. From the Saxquest link provided by Davsoprano, I'm guessing your saxophone wasn't made in 1982. The modern design puts it into the late 1980's at least. As I recall, the modern left-pinky table and related positioning of the lower bell pads weren't available until the late 1980's. I suppose it really doesn't matter - you have it and if it plays, so what? DAVE

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There are two web sites that have the S800 ending at 00162xxxx. so that S number maybe 89 . My Alto from 88/89 is Number 00151xxxx ...the S800 was made up until the end of 89
(unlike the 800 Alto and Tenor that ended with the start of the 880)

Q? Has this horn got Ribs ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Q? How long have you been playing Tenor ? What kind of music are you playing/Who is your Sound Model? ie Dexter Gordon ?

I play a 7* on Tenor and a 7 on Sop.
Tenor: a few years. Play with some other old timers - mainly jazz standards - and then has a seat in a girls' rock band - just for the relaxation of being able to stand in the background and add a few blasts now and then >:OD
Gordon is probably a good bet - love the 'fat' sound - would really like to get my hands on a vintage US horn - but alas...money..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts