Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Yanagisawa #7 metal Tenor mouthpiece.
The tip is .102 and this mouthpiece needs a
refacing - it plays way to hard and just doesn't
give anything back and eats reeds.

But it is a real nicely made piece and the metal
is very silvery (I don't think it is plated).

Maybe the lay needs to be changed?

Is this metal mouthpiece a good candidate for a
refacing? and if so - who should I call?

Thanx
Good Sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Yani metal mouthpieces are silver plated brass. There also one of the highest quality metal mouthpieces that you can find for $200.

I have three of them(all bought for cheap used) and none of them are in need of a reface and I'm picky.

Could be a reed issue, flatten the table on your reeds, learn to make adjustments to them in the reed section on this forum if you don't know how.

Of course there's bound to be a dud Yani mpc made every now and then, you may well have gotten one. A reface with set you back at least $90, you can find used ones for that price that will play very well.

The thing I like to do is hollow out the throat and remove some of the chamber material, basically getting rid of the square shape and making it round going into the bore. Makes for a powerful and fat sound. Current stock metal Yani's unmodified are too bright for my taste, but the facings are good. I still like the older metal Yani's better, I feel they had more hand work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yeah, the Yani mpcs have a good reputation for being straight and true. I would be sure it needed refacing before sending it off.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I think Yani makes a great metal mouthpiece for the price. I find them a little resistant, but not so much that I'd say anything is wrong with them - just not everyone's cup of tea. When I've worked on them, there were only tweaks made to the facing and baffle or personalizing it to the player. Other internal modifications can free it up some. I've never seen one that wasn't silver plated brass.

I recommend maybe trying some different reeds before giving up on it or having it worked on. What kind of reeds are you using that are getting chewed up? I'm liking Javas lately but am trying others. Used to play Hemkes for the tone, but they've been crapping out too fast on me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My criticism of the Yani metal #7 is based on comparisons.
My Van Jumbo Java outplays it by miles (much louder,
way easier blowing
and very forgiving with reeds).

I have a Ponzol M2+ that is way better than the YANI.

The Yani needs work it seems to me and it is such a
well made mouthpiece I figured that a good refacing
would be worth it to try.

Can anyone give me a list of mouthpiece refacers that
I can call and ask a question?

Good Sax

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts

·
4,046 Posts
EZ have you tried scooping out the throat on these Yani metal tenor pieces and making them round. Of course keeping the side walls straight and the baffle intact. I find that by removing a lot of material towards the throat these pieces are very free blowing. Same thing worked for my soprano Yani metal. I couldn't stand the sound, got my dremel out an hollowed out the throat, now it's nice and fat almost pretty sounding.

Without any mods I totally agree the yani's feel resistant and what I would say rather harsh on the low end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heath - you are right about the Yani - it is very resistant
and very harsh on the low end.
in comparison to other mouthpieces I have,
this Yani is a looser.

I would never touch a mouthpiece. I know nothing of the art.
I suppose they only way to learn the art is to become
an apprentice.

Thanx for all the good advice.
Good Sax

·
4,046 Posts
Most of these guys that do refacing work have learned where ever they could and on the job.

Understanding the basics of mouthpieces comes from playing lots of different pieces and getting a feel for how their design affects your sound.

I agree with you that low end is harsh on an unmodified Yani. If you scoop out the throat/chamber and a little of the baffle closest to the throat/chamber than you'll fatten the low end without loosing the high note response. I don't think it's a facing problem. I do this work myself with files, a dremel tool and some other hand tools and sandpaper. It's not rocket science, but you do have to be careful not to harm the table/siderails, and tip of the mouthpiece also the pretty silver finish. Best if you leave that kind of work to someone that's done it before. You could sent it to me and I'll do the work for say $20 and $2 for return S/H. Cosmetically you'll loose the silver plate finish on the inside of the bore and chamber, but it won't affect the tone.

Of course you could send it for a reface and mods, but I doubt you'll get it for anything less than $120, but they'll be able to take a look at the facing and develop a plan to alter it if you need the piece to be more free blowing. Mojo, EZ, the MouthpieceGuys(Brian Powel) are three guys that can do all this kind of work. I've dealt with Mojo for all my pieces, but the other two get the thumbs up around here as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts