Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas about how much it would cost to replace a side Bb key on an SC-900?

Mods: If this would be better placed elsewhere, please move the thread as appropriate.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I contacted Yanagisawa about purchasing a sterling bell alone. They were not able to get me one. I play a Yanagisawa 991 and this request was after the W series had already been introduced.
So as the 900 series even predates the 901/991 series I will assume they don’t have the part.
You will likely have to go to a really talented sax tech and have them fabricate a part for you. There are definitely many that can do it!
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I think it depends on whether the part has changed over the years. A WO bell probably doesn't match a 991 body because of the bore change. But I'd bet that the side Bb key didn't change from the SC900 to the SC901. Whether it changed on the current SC991 is more of a concern, but it's at least worth asking about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Yeah replacing the side key is a lot more common then replacing a bell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
a known dealer, repairer will probably have a better access than a private buyer to parts.

Try Matthews in Edam (NL).

They used to have a preferential access to Yanagisawa and maybe still have .

Same for Paraschos in Greece ( members here btw) whom, not only are the official Yanagisawa dealer for the country but have a very close personal connection to the Japanese company and owning family.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good Luck!
- I would only comment that one of the benefits of buying a horn from a small artisan manufacturer . like Borgani, is their immaculate , personal customer contact , and after sales service . I am sure that would provide any part required , at a reasonable price , as they did when I needed a new tenon socket for my Mk 1 Jubilee tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Yanagisawa is a family run business. Not a multinational.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
OP, also note that even if an SC991 side Bb key is not a perfect fit for your SC900, it might be easier for your tech to modify that key to fit than to fabricate a replacement key from scratch.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I think it depends on whether the part has changed over the years. A WO bell probably doesn't match a 991 body because of the bore change. But I'd bet that the side Bb key didn't change from the SC900 to the SC901. Whether it changed on the current SC991 is more of a concern, but it's at least worth asking about.
I'm just curious b/c I recently acquired a T990. How do we know for certain that the bore dimensions changed from 900 to 901 or 991?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
I don’t believe they did. The bore change was on the new AW models.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I'm just curious b/c I recently acquired a T990. How do we know for certain that the bore dimensions changed from 900 to 901 or 991?
We don't, or at least I don't.

It bears repeating that the evolutionary history of the Yany altos and tenors has been different from that of the curved sopranos.

We know that there was a bore change (to the lower end of the tube) from the 901/991 series to the WO series because Yanagisawa announced it.

The 900/990 series did not go straight to the 901/991 series. In between was the 900μ/990μ series. I believe those horns were almost identical to the 901/991s that succeeded them, except for some mostly cosmetic differences, such as the move from plastic to brass thumb rests. The move from the 900/990s to the μ series reportedly did involve some changes to the tube, but whether these included changes to the dimensions of the bore, or just some tone hole repositioning, I'm not sure without trying to research it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I followed a few hits that I got on 'Yanagisawa bore changes'. The most productive is a Kessler blog which says the changes between 9x1 and WO ar in the bow and bell as you already stated. There's a discussion about the length of the bow in the 8xx to the later horns. There may be more, I was skimming.

I'm hoping I run into other Yani tenors while I have this 990 to see if there are any significant differences. It's a fun tenor to play.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,252 Posts
I bought a Yany tenor that was missing the high E side key once.
Quite difficult to find a key. Kessler, Matthews, etc.

My tech modified a high E key from the parts stash.
I expect that is your best bet.

Great tenors!!

dsm

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the responses.

I got a better view of the horn and found out that the key isn't missing. Some key risers just made it appear as though there were only two side keys.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I’ve wanted to buy on of the pearled front F keys they put on the 880s (?) to replace the key on my T4 but I have no idea if it’s possible to find one.
I just like the angle the put on it. It looked like it would be more under your finger.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
It is a moot point, but that model of soprano is no longer supported with parts availability. FWIW Conn-Selmer who is a U.S. dealer for Yanagisawa instruments now supplies Yanagisawa parts. You can go to their website at: https://parts.conn-selmer.com/ and log in as a "guest" to check models supported and parts availability. You will not however be able to check prices or order parts. That is reserved for members of the professional repair profession who have to jump through a lot of hoops to show they are part of a legitimate business in order to be granted access to that information. As you may have guessed, already anything Conn-Selmer supplies is going to be "pricey".

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I’ve wanted to buy on of the pearled front F keys they put on the 880s (?) to replace the key on my T4 but I have no idea if it’s possible to find one.
I just like the angle the put on it. It looked like it would be more under your finger.
The pearled front F is on the 990 too and yes, it's probably the most convenient I've played. The new WO front F key looks equally situated but minus the bling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts