Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! i will buy a soprano in the next week.. a prestini or jupiter.. i want to buy a mouthpiece too...
which is better? a Yanagisawa Y2707 or a Dukoff D7/D8??? (both metal)
thanks!

(sorry for my english :D)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Don't limit your selection to those two pieces. Try at least one more. Maybe the Selmer Supersession (a hard rubber piece). Has more power than the Yani. Probably easier to handle than the Dukoff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
You have to try them out yourself. The saying "one man' trash is another man's treasure" holds very true in the mouthpiece world. If you buy that piece based on someone else's experience, you could be spending a lot more money than you bargained for. Once again, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i second the metal yani over the dukoff. the yani is a far better made mpc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i live in argentina.. and its very hard to get a Dukoff o yanagisawa, but i will try to try it.. but i repeat is very hard :(

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have both and have tried them on a mk6 and my SC992. Both are excellent pieces. The Dukoff probably will "color" your sound more, it can sound quite raw :) , while the Yanagisawa may give you more freedom to create your own sound. My 2 cents. You will probably be happy no matter which you go for.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
If you had to choose one, go with the Yanagisawa. They are made extremely well and the tone is more versatile, though still to the bright side.

·
Registered
275 Posts
EZ said:
If you had to choose one, go with the Yanagisawa. They are made extremely well and the tone is more versatile, though still to the bright side.
I have owned both. It would depend on what you're looking for. The Dukoff has always given me power and volume, whereas the Yanagisawa gave me the better sound. You gotta be careful with the soft metal of the Dukoff too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Ive played both, still use a Dukoff I got from EZ, great powerful piece, on the bright side but lots of color to it.

The Yani doesnt emphasize all the different tones your horn is producing at once like the Dukoff will, but its a really well made strong player with its own sound.

·
Banned
327 Posts
The Dukoff 'D' chamber is gonna be really bright! The Yani has a lot of resistance, especially on soprano. Though because soprano is an inherently weaker instrument, you might really dig that Dukoff edge... Depends on what sound you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts