Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Yanagisawa #7 metal for my new soprano to compare to my Runyon custom. Boy do I hate it. The sound is muffled and it doesn't speak very well at all. Are these things reed picky or something? I am using LaVoz mediums right now (which work great on the Runyon).

·
Registered
957 Posts
Try a Rico Royal 3 reed.
If the mouthpiece has no particular problem, it will work great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Sounds like the tip opening's too big. These Yanni metal pieces are deceptive because the square chamber makes for greater resistance. I'm assuming the soprano m/p's have the square chamber like A/T/B pieces.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's square. The #7 opening doesn't look that wide to me. The Runyon Custom 6 I am also try is much more open sounding. I've heard so many good things about the Yani pieces that I am baffled...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I've heard so many good things about the Yani pieces that I am baffled...
Well, mouthpiece choice is subjective, we are all different. I dislike nearly every Otto Link I ever tried on tenor, but I continue to hear good things about them.

Soprano mouthpieces are a very strange animal anyway, I tried many (including Yanagisawas) and for a very long time I never found any I like as much as a Selmer Soloist.

So now I tend to always try things out for myself, not follow recommendations from people who are somebody other than myself.

·
14,268 Posts
Reed choices are critical on most mouthpieces. True, I have several different pieces that work with one reed choice, but others that were (I thought) awful came to life when i finally figured out that maybe a different reed would work. It did. DAVE

·
Registered
432 Posts
Reed choices are critical on most mouthpieces. True, I have several different pieces that work with one reed choice, but others that were (I thought) awful came to life when i finally figured out that maybe a different reed would work. It did. DAVE
I've really come to see this as a crucial point. For the past several years I've used one brand of reed, and if it didn't work on a mouthpiece, I'd set the piece aside. Recently I took a journey through about a dozen brands (or styles within a brand, such as Vandoren Java, ZZ, and V16), and was surprised at the huge differences in playability on different mouthpieces. In the end, the reed trials brought me back to an old Link I'd long shelved, which plays beautifully now that I have the right reed for it.

I'd guess a similar experiment will turn up the right reed for your new mouthpiece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts