Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
I recall someone on here saying that Super 400 Sopranos were Yani S6 stencils, and I've seen one more like that before. Buescher (well, Selmer USA at that point, as that horn is from the mid 1970s judging by the serial number) likely either didn't want to use the then very old TT tooling, or thought it was cheaper to stencil a horn.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recall someone on here saying that Super 400 Sopranos were Yani S6 stencils, and I've seen one more like that before. Buescher (well, Selmer USA at that point, as that horn is from the mid 1970s judging by the serial number) likely either didn't want to use the then very old TT tooling, or thought it was cheaper to stencil a horn.
Interesting...thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Interesting find, though I think 1.5k is a bit high for a sax that needs a new cork, and a considerable amount of dent work done. And if the pads are as worn as that cork, or if the dents are an indication of how straight the rest of the body is...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Yeah - its way over-priced. I would figure a restoration on that judging by how it looks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a vito (same horn) on Craig's List a little while back that had recently been tuned up for $700. All it needs is a better case. It is a good horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Yeah - its way over-priced. I would figure a restoration on that judging by how it looks.
$500 - $1,500 for that depending upon where one's located and who they use. So you're looking at 2 to 3 grand for a fully functional old school Yani stencil that is priced at the cost of its brand new or slightly used contemporary counterparts? I wish them luck with that sale. :lol:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Interesting. I had not seen nor heard of an S-6 stencil with"Buescher" on it. Stranger things have happened, though - I imagine.

I have a "KUSTOM" soprano similar in appearance to an S-6/MKVI, but there is no country name on it and no indication of who really made it. After some research, it MAY have been made by Antigua. DAVE

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
I can’t remember the story on these, but yeah, it’s a Yani. I think these were made before Leblanc was distributing them and stenciling them as Vito and VSP, but I can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,222 Posts
Wild. Looking at my own S6 as I look at the fotos of this.

Sure does look like an S6 to me. About a year newer than my Yany.
And agreed about the price. $1500 gets you a nice S6, playing well.

dsm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts