Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I think ligatures matter (slightly), but understand how some would challenge that opinion. DAVE

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,771 Posts
The ligature matters - a lot, particularly for the player who is always trying to extract the most sound from the horn. You don't have to understand why. All you have to do is find a great ligature for you, then try another one that stifles the sound. I did this exact same thing last week - I had bought a new Rovner for metal tenor and was using it at a rehearsal when I had trouble finding a reed that would speak (using my known good reeds from the last gig). On a whim, I dug out my previous Rovner and put it on - bingo. Night and day! Obviously I have used many kinds of ligatures over six decades. Now I use a different Rovner on each horn depending on the needs of that horn and mouthpiece. That is, except soprano where I'm using a standard HR-type lig. My problem with Rovner is just when I find something that works, they discontinue it and I have to start over. I guess that's the brainchild of their marketing director - get 'em hooked then change everything so they have to buy more ligs.
If you play the stuffy, quiet way with that popular dead sound, then sure, what the hell? No ligature can change that, and you don't want the change to start with. So for you, the ligature doesn't matter. For the higher-performance player who relies on a fat sound, the lig can matter.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not having tried a SIXS ligature, I can make no judgment as to its suitability. I just wish ligature makers would stop promising the moon. What exactly is "a resonant voice with stronger core"? Will I really "gain broader dynamic range"? Broader than what? You say I'll also gain "the flexibility to handle a diverse array of musical genres and produce a wealth of tonal colors"? Coulda sworn I was doing that already.

My ligature needs are few: grip the reed securely, hold fast to the mouthpiece, be easy to adjust, don't bend or fall apart, don't muffle the sound. A lig with these attributes (& nothing more) will attract my attention.

While we're on the subject, the one & only purpose of goldplating musical gear AFAIK is to prevent brass fittings from turning everything green. Gold may look pretty, but gold will not enhance tone. If gold could enhance tone, we'd all goldplate our chops & eliminate the middleman.

·
14,302 Posts
For the record, I am not judging the new ligature, only saying that it was interesting to me and that ligatures matter, but not significantly.

In MY opinion, how a ligature affects anything has to do with how it interfaces with the individual reed one is using at the time, the mouthpiece upon which the ligature is affixed, and the player's perceptions when he uses it. There are others who disagree, claiming ligatures don't matter at all. Others take the exact opposite approach, that ligatures matter a lot.

It is all opinion - subjective - otherwise we wouldn't have so many contraptions on the market.

I agree with sopsax about the marketing claims - those are really too much. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,263 Posts
I love the versatility that you can use the same ligature on clarinet and alto.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,313 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I think ligatures matter (slightly), but understand how some would challenge that opinion. DAVE
I would not challenge that at all. Anyone who plays to any kind of level knows the difference a ligature can make and how much it matters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been using the Yanagisawa Yany Sixs ligature for the past month or so, having upgraded from the Rovner ligature. I'm unable to offer empirical evidence that it made a huge qualitative change to the sound. However, during testing, the Sixs sounded brighter than the Rovner ligature, which sounded muffled.

If I need to adjust the mouthpiece, more often than not, the Sixs do not stay in place. I would have to set up the reed, ligature and the mouthpiece all over again after adjusting the mouthpiece on the neck cork.

I'm very glad that I got the Sixs though. It has brightened up the tone compared to my old Rovner ligature. The response from the reed also appeared to have improved compared to my old ligature.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I have been using the Yanagisawa Yany Sixs ligature for the past month or so, having upgraded from the Rovner ligature. I'm unable to offer empirical evidence that it made a huge qualitative change to the sound. However, during testing, the Sixs sounded brighter than the Rovner ligature, which sounded muffled.
Which model of Rovner ligature?

It sounds as though your experience with the Yany Sixs is similar to what the typical player encounters when comparing a Rovner to any lightweight all-metal ligature, such as the Vandoren M|O. In other words, to the extent that the person notices any difference between ligatures at all, that difference will tend to be expressed as "lightweight metal lig = slightly brighter; Rovner = slightly darker/softer."

So I guess the remaining question is whether the Yany Sixs is superior to the M|O or maybe the Rico H-Ligature, both of which cost less than one-third as much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which model of Rovner ligature?

It sounds as though your experience with the Yany Sixs is similar to what the typical player encounters when comparing a Rovner to any lightweight all-metal ligature, such as the Vandoren M|O. In other words, to the extent that the person notices any difference between ligatures at all, that difference will tend to be expressed as "lightweight metal lig = slightly brighter; Rovner = slightly darker/softer."

So I guess the remaining question is whether the Yany Sixs is superior to the M|O or maybe the Rico H-Ligature, both of which cost less than one-third as much.
I was using the Rovner Light ligature at the time. You've got a point there.

I also compared the Vandoren MlO ligature when I tried out the Yany Sixs. Haven't been able to try out the MlO long enough to make a comment on the tone/sound, but what swung it in the Sixs' favour, for me at least, was the build quality. The Sixs was very sturdy whilst the MlO felt very flimsy in hand. The Sixs is very well engineered and built, in my opinion - though the reed/ligature readjustments when moving the mouthpiece will irk some for sure.

Am hoping to get my hands on the BG Duo for comparison as well, but it's not available in my area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts