Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever in the quest for a holy grail tenor mpc (at a modest price), I recently bought a Meyer style mpc from one of the custom makers. It was used off Ebay, so I got it for a reasonable price. The piece looked very nice, but after a few weeks trying to cosy up to it, I still couldn't quite bond with it. A tad bright for my taste. Still couldn't unseat my 30year old Link 6* STM, and my Selmer S90 which came free with one of the tenors I bought.

I suddenly thought of my brand new Yana 5 HR, which I had tried before and chucked aside. Somehow, this time, after some experimenting with reeds, and giving myself more time to play it, suddenly, I am really liking this piece. It's darker than the Meyer style mpc, which I suspect is due to it's low baffle design with almost no rollover (that I can see). So it's got that nice dark texture that plays very well from top to bottom, not quite as dark as the S90.

I don't often see the Yana HR pieces mentioned much, so I wonder whether anyone else is using this mpc as their main piece, and what are their experiences with it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I used the stock HR 5 & lig that came with my soprano as my main piece for about 8 months. It was really great and played superbly throughout the range of the horn. It was also pretty versatile for both classical and jazz playing, which I found particularly useful. The only reasons I switched to the metal Rovner and Yani ones I use now were for a bit more brightness and larger tip openings. But I'd definitely take the Yani HRs over an S80 - and very likely any similar mouthpiece - any day.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
He most certainly does play one of those pieces Vandlay! I believe he's played them on his soprano and tenor at various times too. I got to go to college with Patrick when he was doing his master's. He is an unbelievable player! So much soul and he has incredible ability on the instrument. He played one of those HR Yanagisawas a #7 for a while, and if I'm not mistaken he switched to a #8 after a while.

I have one of these HR #7 pieces for the soprano. It's killer! Recently refaced one for a friend too, he had a #5 he wanted a little bigger and easier to play in the low register, and with a slightly longer facing and a longer window it really became a sop mpc I liked a lot. Planning to do the same thing to my HR Yani piece very soon, just a bigger tip opening... Just have to get around to it! Ha.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the info. Matt! That's great that you are facing mpc. I've always wanted to try a good faced Yani mpc for alto...maybe someday.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The Yanagisawa HR is my favourite soprano piece. They use a high quality hard rubber and are very well made. I've tried them on alto and tenor, but found the chamber design a bit too "classical" for my tastes. But on soprano they are great. Very comfortable beak shape and the round chamber gives a nice dark tone with a bit of edge if you push it. The facings are good straight from the factory, although I tweaked mine a little bit to lengthen the lay and open the tip. The Bari player next to me in big band plays one, and sounds pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts