Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something like “Yanagisawas and Yamaha Z tenors have no middle (core) to the sound. They’re very heavy and sound tubby, unlike Mark VI’s and Balanced Actions. Kings and Conn are good too. Conn has middle it just comes at you in a different way.”

I’ve also heard the newer Yanagisawa tenors have more “core.”

I just wanted to put this out there. I’m happy with my T880. It sounds a little spread and that’s fine for me.

Do you agree with this statement?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I read something like “Yanagisawas and Yamaha Z tenors have no middle (core) to the sound. They’re very heavy and sound tubby, unlike Mark VI’s and Balanced Actions. Kings and Conn are good too. Conn has middle it just comes at you in a different way.”

I’ve also heard the newer Yanagisawa tenors have more “core.”

I just wanted to put this out there. I’m happy with my T880. It sounds a little spread and that’s fine for me.

Do you agree with this statement?
That statement is flat out ignorant.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wait, I thought the complaint about Yamahas wasn’t that they were tubby but that they were too bright and edgy?

Oddly, the people that have worked on my Yamaha horn have always had nothing but praise for it… I guess despite having had hundreds of instruments through their hands, they can’t tell the Japanese instruments lack core.

Mouthpiece and reed have at least 10x the effect - if you are worried about lack of “core” you can find plenty of mouthpieces that will give you any type of core you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,660 Posts
Yeah, I've heard this too. Perhaps the newer Japanese horns aren't as loud feeling as old Conns or whatever in the hand, but 'tubby' is a really weird criticism.

I'd say the Yanagisawa tenors are slightly more reserved than their Yamaha counterparts, but they're loaded with character if you know what you're doing! Great horns, I say

1 - 20 of 56 Posts