Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Thanks to Conn-Selmer, I was able to get a review sample of the new Yanagisawa Classical SC120 mouthpiece. I hope this review is helpful to all those who requested it to be made. Keep an eye out for more reviews down the line, Conn-Selmer sent me a handful of other new products to check out as well!

Watch here:
https://youtu.be/5eh4vVnkBN0

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I picked up an SC120 from Yanagisawa at the same time that I got the AC150 that I've addressed in the other recent Yany classical mouthpiece thread. This time I chose the smaller of the two tip opening options (120 rather than 130), again because it was similar to the mouthpieces I was already playing. The first thing to say about the SC120 is that, as Joshua reports in his video review above, the mouthpiece has more resistance than you would expect if you've already tried the AC140/150. It's odd. Comparing the two Yany mouthpieces physically, the rails and tip of the soprano piece are proportionally much wider than those of the alto piece. They don't really seem to be of the same general design, although the chamber shape is more or less the same. The SC120 has more resistance than either the Vandoren SL3 or the Selmer Concept, but less than the SL5.

Nevertheless, the SC120 is a nice-playing classical mouthpiece that offers a reasonable balance between ease of play and quality of tone. Its sound is a bit rounder than that of the SL3, and not as bright as that of the Concept. You may have to drop down a half-strength in reeds to achieve a comparable response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts