Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I'm a Selmer Paris man... But always had a interest in Yani horns. I'm researching the Yani... B6 Artist Stencil that up for grabs here, but not being familiar with he Stencils and their market value, brings me here to find out from those who know more about the Yani Horns, brings me to ask, how good are the Artist, is a Pro Horn, and what's the going or trending selling price of a pretty good condition B6 Artist. Any info will be graetly appreciated. Thanks...

Philo
AKA FrenchMkVI

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Save for a Mark VI.
I like Yanagisawas but there’s no comparison in sound.
There’s a stenciled Yanagisawa soprano on eBay labeled Buescher 400 for $995. Them seem to go in the $1100 to $1400 range.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...

I have four Selmer Paris Horns... My French MK VI, had that since 1969 when I started sax in High School. Two SBA Altos, don't know which one to keep, as both are players horns, and my SA 80 II Soprano. A Conn Naked Lady Tenor that I'm having regulated and adjusted to sale here soon. Selmers, especially the 68XXX Tenors are awesome. But, what I'm trying to find out, is what the Yani Artist Stencils are going for in good to very good condition. Thanks for your input...

Philo

·
Registered
929 Posts
Save for a Mark VI.
I like Yanagisawas but there’s no comparison in sound.
There’s a stenciled Yanagisawa soprano on eBay labeled Buescher 400 for $995. Them seem to go in the $1100 to $1400 range.
You're on the wrong end of the quartet here, unless you just meant Yanis in general in that comment and not just Sops.
B6 models stenciled as Vito seem to go for about $2000-2500 on ebay, I'd expect yours to be on the lower end of that as probably less people will have heard of a stencil marked that.
Also, I've played a B6 before, back for a musical when I was in high school-it's a good enough horn. I have never played a mark vi (or Selmer in general) bari, but I'd expect this to be able to get you through gigs and such-to my knowledge Yani has only made pro baris. (and hasn't made a "student" horn at all other than one pretty wierd alto called the A2 that had reduced keywork.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
the only yani's i've seen stenciled as artist were altos (a4 models - i think) and they were going for around 600. there is a whitehall yani stencil being sold on the forum by buddy lee for 12 and one on www.2ndending.com that jayelid is selling for 13ish.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
All the Yani baris are pro quality horns. If it's a stencil it will normally sell for a bit less than a Yani branded horn in the same condition. If it's in good playing condition something around $2k is reasonable. The better cosmetic condition and fewer previous repairs the higher the price.

I've been test playing vintage Selmer baris for about 6-7 years now when I come across them. I've played 5 or 6 Mark VIs -two Low A models, 3 or 4 Low Bb (really what I've been hoping to get) and a near mint SBA. None of them had anywhere near as good a sound as my Yani B992 or my Low Bb Phil Barone branded bari. I'm sure there are some good playing ones out there but they aren't easy to find. I wouldn't pass up a deal on a B6 in good condition hoping to find a VI bari I liked. I'd buy the Yani if it's in good shape and try Selmers as you find them. If you pay the right price for the B6 stencil and take good care of it you should be able to sell it for what you paid when/if you find a VI bari you like.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I had a couple of Yani stencils - Vito VSP tenor and baritone. While I never compared the bari to a Selmer, the VSP tenor stood up quite well to my 105 Mark 6. The prices on the baritone stencils have creeped up over the years so the one from sunpowerusa looks like it's in the ballpark depending on the condition, of course. Some of the stencils, like the two I had, have stripped down key work which excludes a tilting Bb and the double arm low keys.

You could save for a Selmer and it might be a better investment but it's 3 or 4 times the money.

·
Banned
566 Posts
i have had yanagisawa stenciled baritones,VITO,ARTIST,MARTIN,HOLTON,VSP VITO.
These are all good playing saxophones.go from lowA to highF.
these are pro 1970's baritones.
they are all good professional sounding horns,slightly cheaper than with YANAGISAWA written on the bell.

as any saxophone,different brands sound/feel different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts