Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new baritones from Yanagisawa? How do they differ from the 901 etc.? Can't find anything on the forum, or elsewhere online...

How do they compare to the Yamaha YBS-52 for example?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Cost and value-wise, the B-W01 and YBS-52 are quite comparable...that said, they are very different saxophones, sound, keywork, feel, key placement, weight (Yamaha is heavier) are all unique. From my experience, the Yanagisawas have better intonation, but the Yamahas have more even tone. Both are awesome baritones...I have played 900 yanis and YBS-52 and -62, and currently own a B-991 (have had it for >10 years). I also still have an old Low Bb Mark VI, that I use for rock/blues settings

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've owned a YBS-52, a Leblanc 7190BA (a Yany stencil which is identical to a B901 in all ways except the logo on the bell) and a BWO1. While I thought the YBS-52 had a slightly fatter sound than the Yanagisawas, in terms of ergonomics there was no comparison. While pretty good compared to many Baris I've seen, its not nearly as elegant as the Yanagisawa. Of course, may people might be offended with using "elegant" and "baritone" in the same context, but I have always been swayed by Yanagisawa engineering and ergos. Technically it allows me to be a better player and on Bari at least, I'm not a Don Quixote in search of the best sound. I have a long ways to go just to get the best sound out of the BWO1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts