Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just become a proud new owner of the SC992, I am beginning to wonder how I would like something like the S992 alto over my 82z alto. Anyone play the Yanagisawa alto and think it's better than Yamaha? I'm almost at the perfect sound I want but something is slightly lacking with the Yamaha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I own a A992 and my friend owns a 82Z alto. I have played the 82Z and to me, it gives the typical "Yamaha" sound. Bright, and edgy.
I just prefer the A992 because I thought the Yanagisawa have a more complex tone that I liked very much.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the bright and edgy for what I am doing, but seem to lack a bit of complexity. Might just be GAD, lol.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I did like that bright and edgy as well on some pieces so I ended up a different mpc and seemed to do the job with my satisfaction of being able to change from bright to mellow

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I actually changed from my Beechler Bellite to my Beechler Custom and that really seemed to make a difference. I was so impressed with the SC992 soprano that I wanted to hear thoughts on the alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
You should also try a 875-EX. I owned all three. the Yanag alto had the best intonation. Yamaha Z had the most complexity. 875 has sheer power and better intonation than z. For classical or technical, i would stick with Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i've tried all Yamaha and Yanagisawa models,
the best is Yanagisawa A992, is better than yamaha and Yani's solid silver model

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
A992 is my preferred "weapon of choice" and it was made after much deliberation over 82z.
both are great horns. but (TO ME), A992 is closer to the tonal concept that I am after. Great buttery action with a rich, lush sound. :)
I prefer something less edgy btw. :) test both horns if you can before you decide.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Yanagisawa A992 is a fantastic alto. I prefer it to the old Yamaha YAS62 I used to play. Allthough the YAS62 is also a great horn, the yanagisawa had something extra. Very good keywork, excellent intonation, very consistent tone. You can't go wrong with the A992.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I too had an old purple label Yamaha YAS62. Great mechanics but thin, sterile and inflexible sound. Then I had the chance to get a beat up old 2nd hand Yana A880. After few necessary repairs, the A880 pissed all over the Yamaha. Phat sound, comfy keywork. Haven't had the chance to try the current models but I bet they're even better.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
In 97 I picked up an A9930 at a very good price...It was quite bright at first but it got better and better over the next few years. In 2002 got the Alto that I will keep untill the end game. That is an A8833.

But...I had a go on a new Yamaha Z UL Alto this year and I have to say that it is one hard to beat Alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I owned 2 Yani altos, a 500 and a 901. Even those supposed to be midrange horns are excellent. Keywork, intonation, sound quality and richness, both beautiful pieces of alto. The only thing I missed, which might be present on the high end models, is the ability to really push and scream, cut through, when needed. It seems to me that Yamaha and Selmer does better in that chapter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts