Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Played a friends Yanagisawa A9933 alto with the sterling silver neck and bell today and then played his Selmer Reference 54 which I thought was the best alto I ever played. Guys, all I can say is WOW! The Yani is incredible. Same power as the 54 but an even bigger richer sound and so even in sound from top to bottom. The intonation was spot on. Silver Sonic is back. I was blown away and am sick now. His 54 killed my Yamaha Z and now the Yani? Damn thing vibrates in your hands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
yeah I tried a Yani A9933 when i was buying my new Alto later last year. My 2 final choices was the Selmer Ref. 54 and the Yani, and I went with the Ref. 54 because the sound was darker and richer in my opinion. but I did like the Yani because it had more power, and had more color in the tone compared to the Ref.

They are both killer horns you can't really go wrong with either one. When I have the money I hope to try a Yani A9932J and a A9933 and get on as a second or back up Alto.

hey maybe the 9932J will have the richness color and power of the Ref. 54 and the Yani 9933?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I believe the Yani 9933 is the finest alto I've played in 35 years and I've owned and played them all. Very special horn; not the norm. They are however rare and hard to get.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'd be interested to hear comparisons from those who played it against a really good vintage King Super 20 Silver Sonic. I know that the 9933 was made just like the 990 (same production run) and agree that the brass body and solid silver neck and bell is a special combination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.