Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently on the lookout for an upgrade to my student saxophone. I've seen one that I really like (a Yanagisawa A992) but unfortunately I most probably will not have an opportunity to play it before purchase (it's a flight away and I'm on a tight budget). I absolutely love the look of the saxophone and on reading the reviews on 992's I'm very tempted. My only concern is that the tone just might be a little dark for me. I'm pretty new to sax and don't know a lot about mouthpiece set up, but would a metal mouthpiece produce a brighter sound on the A992? Our only woodwind shop in the area is all out of Yanis at the moment, so I can't even try one there. I'm afraid to let this sax go though. It seems like such a good deal. Any advice appreciated.

Confused!!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
would a metal mouthpiece produce a brighter sound on the A992?
No. Only a brighter sounding mouthpiece would produce a brigheter sound, it's nothing to do with metal. A good bright mouthpiece is a Vandoren Jumbo Java.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
Haven't played an a992 myself but somehow it would surprise me really if this horn would be too dark, from what I know about other types of Yani's they're well balanced, not too dark OR bright. You can shape the sound to your liking with the combination of reeds, mpc and air support.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
hey, I own the A992 and I must say that it is a fantastic horn. However, the horn itself only constitutes to part of the tonal color. As shared by "toughtenor", the other gear like mouthpiece, ligature, reeds, embouchure and microphone used will each contribute to the tone.
I will say that the A992 is slightly darker but will need to view the setup as a whole before we can conclude whether the tonal color is bright or dark.
personally, I chose the A992 over the Yamaha 82z alto cause it is leaning more to my tonal pursuit. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm sure if I get it (hopefully) I'll be on seeking further advice about how to set it up!! Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
The difference is very subtle between the regular brass Yanagisawa and bronze.

"I'm pretty new to sax" >> If you are pretty new to saxophone, any of these will be about the same for you: 901, 902, 991, 992. In fact, i would recommend saving some money and buying a 901. I have one and love it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
... 992 I'm very tempted. My only concern is that the tone just might be a little dark for me.
Don't worry about darkness - the A992 is really great sounding. Just got mine for 2 weeks now, but playing it on gigs, I find it bright and clear, but still giving the full bottom of the tone. Really good balanced tone, in my humble opinion.
Bjorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I play an 880 with a 992 neck. The sound with the 992 neck is darker than it is with the original neck. But it's not a drastic difference and probably more noticeable to me than it is to anyone else. Meanwhile, if I put on a bright mouthpiece, I get a bright sound. If I put a dark mouthpiece, I get a dark sound. It won't be too dark if you don't want it to be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all your comments. Unfortunately, the purchase didn't go ahead this time. My search continues....

·
3,202 Posts
I think it's probably better to focus on whether you like how the horn resonates and speaks rather than bright or dark. Bright or dark, whatever your personal concept of that is, is pretty adjustable with other stuff that's been mentioned. Also intonation is important - can you play it in tune top to bottom fairly easily? And probably lastly for me anyways, is the keys. With modern horns that's not really a big concern.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I have an A-901 with a 992 neck, and there is very little if any difference in the sound between the 2 necks. I have noticed a little more resistance that I liked with the 92 neck. It seems a little easier for me to control, but again, it's a minor difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's no such thing as an alto sax that is too dark : )
I have actually found a sax that was too dark for my tastes- the Selmer SA80 Serie II. But that's beside the point. Personally I love the Yani A992 because it has a nice dark sound but also has a lot of bark to it when I want it (anything from smooth jazz to hardcore rock 'n' roll :twisted:). So if that's what you want, definately can't go wrong with the 992. And it looks cool too.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I have actually found a sax that was too dark for my tastes- the Selmer SA80 Serie II. But that's beside the point. Personally I love the Yani A992 because it has a nice dark sound but also has a lot of bark to it when I want it (anything from smooth jazz to hardcore rock 'n' roll :twisted:). So if that's what you want, definately can't go wrong with the 992. And it looks cool too.....
Then you aren't blowing it right - the Serie II is one of the most versatile altos on the market. Pop a RPC 90B on that and it'll blow over the top of a big band (but then, so would an A-992).

·
2,312 Posts
Any sax can be made to cut like a laser with certain reed/mouthpiece combos. Something like a Beechler diamond inlay with a Rico plasticover could turn even the darkest horn into a paint peeler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the Serie II is one of the most versatile altos on the market.
I'm not saying it's not versatile. I put my Beechler Bellite on that sucker and (almost) peeled paint. but when I put my rubber mouthpiece on it was just too dark and there was no oomph to it. Maybe it was just me but I found the 992 to have a little more punch to it both with my classical and jazz setups.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I'm not saying it's not versatile. I put my Beechler Bellite on that sucker and (almost) peeled paint. but when I put my rubber mouthpiece on it was just too dark and there was no oomph to it. Maybe it was just me but I found the 992 to have a little more punch to it both with my classical and jazz setups.
What was wrong in that picture is your choice of rubber mouthpiece. It is up to you to choose the correct mouthpiece.

Like I said, don't blame it on the horn.

·
4,544 Posts
Then you aren't blowing it right - the Serie II is one of the most versatile altos on the market. Pop a RPC 90B on that and it'll blow over the top of a big band (but then, so would an A-992).
Or even a Buescher 'Big B'...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts