Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
The Z would be my choice evertime.Both are outstanding though,its what suits you in the end.The Z just has more of everthing to me and is more flexible in sound.Both have great ergonomics.I feel i hit a wall at times on a Yani but the Z can be pushed all the way.Try both though,you might like the 991 more,were all different.Build on both and feel is the best made today,but again thats me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I personally prefer the 991 on Alto and the 82Z on Tenor, To me i can manipulate the sound more on the Yani. And I like the ergos on the Yani Alto more.

But like I said i prefer the 82Z's layout on Tenor more it fits my hand better and gives my a thicker tone.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,910 Posts
It all depends on what plays best for you. IMO, go for the Yani A991.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I like the yani altos better than the yamaha's, although I have a silver Custom Z tenor which I like alot. I've played the yani altos, 991 & 9932. The tone on the 9932 was very rich sounding with excellent intonation, the low end was amazing and the palm keys played thick and fat...better than any VI that I've played...and the 991 also played well, had a real nice tone to it, with great key action. I played a custom Z alto, the tone on it was o.k., it was brighter sounding than the yani's by far, thought I was going to buy it at first because I was going to get a good deal on it, but also noticed the palm keys played sharp, which could be fixed by replacing the G1 neck with a G3, like I did with my tenor.

The key action on the Z was better than the yani's...the yani's felt smaller in my hand's than the Z alto, but the sound of the yani's were lush, thicker sounding, and overall had a better sound and they seemed to project a little bit better than the Z yamahaha. Actually you can't go wrong with either horn, but for me if I had to pick between the 2, I would definitely go with a Yani. As far as my Z tenor goes, I sold my mark VI almost 5 years ago for $8000, bought my Z tenor for $3000, and the Z plays alot better than my VI ever did...Joe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts