Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

There's a Yanagisawa A990 that I'm thinking of getting.

What is the main difference between the 990s and the later versions (e.g. 991, 992...etc.) I learned that the 990s are handmade, and that they're no-longer produced?

Are the 990s worth more for my dollars than the newer models?

What's a reasonable price for this horn?

What are some pros and cons of getting this or the newer horns?

Please let me know. Thanks! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts
Cyblord: I had an A-880 and handed it down to my grandson. He loves it, and it is a really good alto. I had an A-992 and later traded it away. It too was a really good alto.

The "2" in 992 merely means the material is bronze, not brass, but all of the 99x series horns are alike except for the body material.

I suspect there is little difference among the various models from 880 to the current 99x series. If there is, it is most likely insignificant.

If you have an opportunity to acquire a 990 model and it is a good saxophone, AND the price is right, I'd say do it, unless you "need" the newness factor. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,035 Posts
I recently picked up a NICE 990u (actually a 990µ) for what I think was a bargain price, $1,100, from a local store. I haven't played it a lot yet, in deference to my Mk VI, but it seems like a great horn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually prefer my A990 to my Mk VI. You really cant beat the A990 in terms of Yanagisawa horns. From like 1989 to 1996 they made their best horns as far as altos go. I play a 1992 that i got in 1998 and Im never letting go of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts