Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall what is a better horn. The Yanagisawa A901 or the Yamaha 62. The YAS 62 is slightly more expensive new. Whereas Yanagisawa might be cheaper because they are just not as popular. Any thougths on these two horns?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Firstly, I must say there's a lot said on this forum about these 2 saxes, and all the comments say they're both excellent. Google will pretty much answer all the questions you have, that can be answered online. That said...

A few months ago I was in the market for a new sax, having decided it was time to upgrade my old AS100 that had served me well for about 2 years as my first real sax (I've only been playing for 3 years now). It was down to the YAS 62 and the Yani A901. I blew both and came to the following conclusion:
1. I felt a little more "at home" on the Yammy, but that's to be expected, since I already had one.
2. I liked my tone on the Yammy ever so slightly more than the Yani (Yani #6 metal mpc and fibracell reed).
3. The Yani felt nicer to play (ergonomics).

I ignored point 1 as I knew I'd get used to the Yani. The tone difference was so slight as to not override the better feel of the Yani. In Aus, the Yani was about 10-15% dearer.

After taking the horn home for the weekend to be sure, I bought the Yani, and I love it.

Both are great horns. Blow them both, preferably in front of a mirror or glass door so the sound will reflect and you can hear it better. Buy your favourite.

Dave

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
W/o question my favorite is the Yanigisawa A901 in every way from how it played to the ergos to the overall quality. I could see the bell seam on the 62 but not on the Yani, if that makes any difference to anyone.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,721 Posts
both are excellent horns.I have a yamaha purple logo 62 alto and love it. That said I tested the yani at a music store and thought it was also great

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Flâneur, tried to PM u but ur inbox is full. I'm interested in your Yani A991, is it still available for sale or already purchased?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,225 Posts
Both horns are great. The Yani will give you a bit more of the jazzy flexibility (tonal & pitch), the Yam of the funky punch and edge. But these are very subtle differences.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either horn. Play them both side by side if you can. Otherwise, find the best deal (don't forget the used horn market), buy it and don't look back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
The local used market is where the deals are. I just saw a A901 in local Cragslist for $1000 OBO... Alas, I need another alto like I need a hole in the head. I just recently bought a silver 62II...

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
650 Posts
Played 'em both, bought the Yanagisawa. But that'd be a personal preference thing. They're both fine horns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts