Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinion about Yanagisawa A800

I need opinion about alto saxophone Yanagisawa A800 (1983). What do you think about its? Is it a good sax?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think those are very good. The direct predecessor to the 880 model, which is the alto I used to own. Which was one of the best horns I ever played, definitely the best I actually owned. You also see them as stencils for the top Vito models sometimes, the Vito VSP. I'm not an expert on market value, but they've held their value quite well.

I guess I would compare them to the 62 series Yamaha, in terms of overall quality. Personally, I prefer the Yani. Might not be as vibey as a vintage American or French horn, but in terms of intonation and build quality they are solid. Definitely a lot of Selmer influence in the design and keywork.

If you ask saxophone techs, these (and the made in Japan Yamaha) are some of the horns they recommend for people who don't have the money to drop on a Selmer or Keilwerth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I owned one. One. It was a superb alto. When I bought it, the selling dealer, Zep Meisner (sp?), who played with big bands in the big-band era, advised me to also buy a Selmer Mark VII neck for it, which I did - from him. I liked the Selmer neck better.

I eventually gave the horn to my oldest grandson, who was a budding altoist in high school. He made it sound even better, but he preferred the stock neck.

Anyway, he still has it and plays it while he flies helicopters in the US Air Force. DAVE

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I like the old Yanagisawas. I have an A4 which was their first modern (Selmer Super Action copy) sax.
They usually go from $800-1200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts