Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got this alto from eBay. I was a little bit nervous about it but I think it is legit. From my little bit of research I’m thinking it’s an A-4 built in1977? Wondering if maybe it’s a 500 series? I got it to replace my YAS-23 that I stupidly sold last summer. It seems picky about mouthpieces and so far only likes my Selmer S-80 C* mouthpiece. Any recommendation for a jazz mpc? Any other thoughts on this horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
2,000 Posts
Looks legit and for the $650 (if that’s the horn) looks like a good buy to me, if not in need of an overhaul. Add $800-$1000 for the overhaul and you might have a tough time recouping your investment.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Its legit. I think its an A4 as well. The A5 had the big ring for the bell to body brace. I had an A5 that played great with a Meyer. Good buy.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,227 Posts
Looks legit to me. Good horns!
I like a Beechler. The stock MP is quite good if that came with.
You can probably pick one up pretty cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions! And thanks for suggesting mouthpieces that aren’t crazy expensive. The horn plays though I’m wondering about leaks that might need to be addressed. With the Selmer mouthpiece, all the notes speak, but the pitch slowly creeps sharper as I go up the staff even with an open throat and only loosely holding the mouthpiece. Or is the problem me? Yeah. I know I need to get myself a teacher.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
I have one of these. I’m a fan of older Yanagisawas. I also have a T4 tenor.
I think these have ergonomics closest to Selmer than anything I’ve had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts