Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am using yamaha 4c on my alto and have difficulties hitting higher notes infact I also find that the stock mouthpiece that came with the sax is easier to blow but somehow don't want to use a stock mouthpiece.

Will upgrading to selmer S80 C* help instead of yamaha 4c or should I go for some other model like morgan 3c .

Thanks for the help .

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Sure. If you're playing classical and you need an upgrade--selmer S80. I've played one since 1975--they work great!

They're common enough that you should be able to try one at your local music store. That's not to say that Ralph Morgan doesn't make fine pieces!

Yamaha 4c is too closed. Do you have a teacher? If not, get one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,
Does that mean that in the wider tip opening it is easier to get the notes(both high and low)I also notice there are lot of tip openings avialable in S80 C* Which one should I got for? Except for high notes yamaha 4c is performing quite well so I dont want to end up with something more difficult to handle :)

the tip opening of yamaha 4c is .065 so should I buy a wider one in S 80 C*?

Also is it easier to bend notes in S 80 C* .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
rs: I have a different take on your question. I have a C* alto and while it plays okay for me, I must use harder reeds than I like. Even then, I don't care for it. I MUCH prefer other mouthpieces.

I have both C* and 4C for soprano, and the 4C plays darned good with a Fibracell reed (better than my C*).

I don't know what an alto 4C measures, but .065" is really tight for alto, I believe. Nor do I know offhand what an alto C* measures but I suspect it is more open than the 4C in alto (assuming your stated measurement is accurate). I have a chart buried in my file somewhere.

But what does all of this have to do with you? Nothing. We are all different - what works for me or others may not work for you. Asking for mouthpiece advice is a crap-shoot. Bottom line is that YOU must make the decision yourself by either buying both or testing both OR expanding your search to include as many pieces as you can find/afford. That's what all of us have done.

Good luck. DAVE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Dave, For the time being then I will just continue with my yamaha 4c and concentrate more on practise than the mouthpiece itself :)
may be a year down from now I may be in better position to take a decision I have been playing for a over a year now and it might be too early to get bogged down on mouthpiece changing at this moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts