Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BlueNote indicated in an earlier thread the following:

"Just as a heads up, the "real" yamaha customs start with a "C" infront of the serial number. These are rare as hens teeth and are made exclusively by the a select staff of experienced horn makers at Yamaha."

Has anyone else heard of this? I know that the serial no's. assigned by Yamaha are somewhat weird & seem inconsistant, but has anyone else heard that the serial no's. beginning with "C" are supposedly superior 82Z's? I haven't heard this but I am curious.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is not true. All newer Yamaha's have serials starting in C, even the 62II's. I see loads of Yamaha horns fresh from Grand Rapids (distributor) on a weekly basis, and it seems now that all have a C before the serial number.

Steve P

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
That must be a new development as none of my Customs' #'s start with a C.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
I'm sure big names like Phil Woods can ask for certain customizations for their horns and get it. I just can't think of anything I'd want different...except for a fold out cup holder, of course.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the comment by BlueNote in an earlier thread seemed silly. Just was courious if anyone else heard this. Oh well.

sinkdraiN, a "fold out cup holder?" That's an awesome idea if it has a no-spill lid! It may make the horn a bit more heavy, but what a convenience! you may want to patent that idea before another SOTW member or Starbucks does. I like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
How about an on board GPS to find your ways to gigs? We could give it Candy Dulpher's voice....:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
actually, had I known about the "real" custom yamahas...I would have gotten a smoke machine installed in the bell.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talk about innovation, you guys are awesome. These are great ideas. Perhaps another cup of coffee this morning would give me some inspiration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys here are the facts. Yes you are right in stating that some of the new sax that are of the old series are made by the custom line in the factory and start with the C. The C signifies not only that it is part of this line but infact it has the corrected G1 neck installed unlike the earlier version. How did I find this out you ask? the only way I was able to get a yamaha 82z UL WOF before 2008 was make an appointment and to visit Yamaha Japan office Mr. Takeshi San (district sales). He was kind enough to not only explain to me the horn was buying was unique and made by a separate line but there is a new Yamaha model on its way. But here is the bad news, not sure if you seen in the Yamaha manufacturing video on the yamaha site where the bells being hand hammered by an old guy for hours and hours, annealed and hammered hours and hours this does not occur with new horns that are about to be released, where much of the process is now automated.

This frustrating thing was that I was not able to buy this horn direct and had to have this delivered to Ishibashi store in Toyko which took another 3 days but it was sure worth the wait. What an awesome sound!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, BlueNote. Sounds like you scored a killer horn.

What's the new model that's coming?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
BlueNote-
I'm pretty sure that my 82z has the corrected neck, the intonation is pretty much spot on throughout the range. However, I don't have the "C" before the S/N. Just wondewring if your post about the C only has to do with the tenor models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is there anyway we can tell if we have the good or bad neck? I think I might have the bad one. Is there anyway yamaha can replace it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts