Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum Users,

I am switching from an alto to a tenor saxophone (my YAS has already been sold) have the possibility to buy a YTS62 for 1500 EUROS (though I might haggle down a bit) of about 4 years old but in very good condition; and a JTS769 for 800, new (so no haggling).
I like to play both outside and in, but generally I play indoors. Of course I don't play in all weather conditions (no rain/temperature swings), but if the horn can't take a little bit of outside air I won't be able to use it. I am an intermediate player, playing for several years and relatively frequently. I always have the option of buying a YAS280 for about 500/600 EUROS second hand.
Is there anyone around who has played both (or all three) of these instruments?

Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,210 Posts
Despite the Jupiter being a good saxophone, by all means, the difference in quality is such that the Yamaha 62 is the better, though more expensive, choice.

Moreover, if you were ever to sell your Yamaha 62, you would find not too difficult to get more or less that amount that you are going to spend but, in my experience, you would find very difficult to recuperate the €800 that you would be paying for the Jupiter.

Again, the same goes for the YTS 280, a good horn... but not in the same class as the 62, obviously. At the moment the student line by Yamaha (275 & 280) is experiencing the usual dip in prices because of their sheer numbers on the market, besides, your 280 maybe made in Indonesia or China ( Yamaha produces the student’s horns there for some time).

Even though there is nothing wrong with their quality control anywhere, the market favors horns made in Japan.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,224 Posts
I would agree that a Yamaha 62 is better built, but the 767-769 Jupiters can be a superb sounding instrument, and they are pretty well made usually.
Some of the old 767s needed a bit of setting up. They often had pads that weren't seated as well as they should be from the factory around the Bb bis area, particularly.

Yamaha 62 is hard to beat. Some people prefer the old purple logo models with the long bell key guard. I actually prefer the newer ones with conventional guards. The keywork feels like it is set to accommodate small hands, but it does work OK for larger hands.

As sound is key it's important to go and try them. Whatever someone advises, you might prefer one over the other. Go with the one you like. I would look for a second hand horn just because it is better value for money IMHO. There should be a few Jupiters and Yamaha 62s available second-hand. You can expect a second-hand instrument to need the odd small repair which you may need to budget for.
I guess it comes down to what you want to spend. Go try them and see what you like. If you don't have chance to try them I would opt for a Yamaha as having a good reliable standard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice! I think both prices are good, so I will try them to see if the difference in price is worth it. I'm also keeping in mind that the Jupiter is being sold new in an outlet store, so I am sure that I won't have to pay any reparations.
Thanks again :) if I get to try them both I will summarise the difference as I experienced it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts