Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a new purchase of a YTS-82Zii SILVER Tenor Sax (over $6,000 USD retail new)..... I have been playing my YTS-62 Purple Logo since the 80's when I bought it brand new. I've never played a YTS-82Z in ANY finish whether lacquer or silver. But I have read a lot of good things about the lacquer version of the YTS-82Zii or 82Ziii

I'm ready for a change but of course, the Silver 82z's are hard to find and can't be readily play-tested in my area due to lack of inventory, so before I venture on this difficult search, what are your opinions of the SILVER YTS-82ZiiS and will I like it $6,000 worth (a bunch) more than my original YTS-62 ??? Or am I wasting my money and time with this dream?

If you've played or owned both of these saxes, please help me out. I love lots of technical details so please don't be shy about explaining in great detail. I can't find a SILVER YTS-82Z to test-drive. So I am dependent upon your professional opinions.

Thanks Everyone.
PS..... If anyone has a Silver YTS-82Zii for sale for a GREAT price, please let me know. I'm in Southern California.

Gary

Premium Member
Selmer MK VI, Selmer SA80 II Silver-plate Alto, Selmer SA80 II Silver-Plated Tenor, Yani Soprano SC
I can't answer for the YTS-82z, but can answer for the YTS-62II vs YTS-62II-S. I have both in stock at the moment. Both horns are set up the same. I can use my Link 7* on both.

There is a wide consensus on here that Silver-Plated are no different in sound to the laquor version. I beg to differ. The Silver-Plated has a more mellow tone. I prefer this. I would definitely choose this if I was in your shoes. 馃憤

Registered
Any particular reason you want the 82Z specifically? Have you considered the 875EX? What about your 62 do you want to change, and can it be changed with a new mouthpiece?

Personally, I love my 62. Big, dark-ish vintage sound that aligns with the sound I hear in my head, and that's very comfortable to play. That said, I've had such good luck with my EX soprano and alto that I'd like to try the tenor for my own peace of mind.

Also, not on your list, but Yamaha's black lacquer is pretty slick. Beautiful, and very durable.

Reactions: saxtech1

Distinguished SOTW Member
The 82Z is good with the V1 neck and excellent with the C1 neck. I think the 875EX is even better. In fact, the EX with the C1 neck is probably my favourite modern combination. The only downside to the 875EX is the lack of stack adjustment screws. Maybe this isn't a huge deal for most players, but I find it annoying that I can't compensate for cork compression on my own! Regarding the necks, I find that the although the V1 neck gives the feeling of producing a big sound, the control and accurate intonation from the C1 (especially as you reach the palm keys) gives better results.

As for whether you'd like it $6000 more than your 62, I doubt it. The purple logo 62 horns are just brilliant when they're working properly. I would recommend strongly considering the EX as well as the Z. In saying that, if you've got the money to get the horn, maybe save 4K by getting your 62 an absolutely premium overhaul and then a really nice case.

Silver plating makes a huge difference to the appearance of the horn. It really looks different to gold lacquer. The black lacquer, which also looks different to gold, looks pretty cool too, I think. Personally, I love the look of silver, so I'd buy the silver one and then I'd get a pack of 3M anti-tarnish strips to keep it looking decent.

I feel like every person who says that finish makes a difference tells you something different (more mellow, less mellow, brighter, darker, more brilliant, more resonant, without the dampening layer of lacquer). You can imagine which camp I fall into!

Registered
Just saw an unlacquered 82Z on one of the Facebook saxophone groups for $3300. Not sure how you feel about unlacquered horns or buying on Facebook, but it's there if you're interested.

Registered
Silver plated 82z's do look the goods IMHO, bit more work to keep them looking good though, compared to lacquered 82's - I tried both - I ended up buying a lacquered 82Z, mainly because I didn't want to constantly keep polishing the silver plating, and having a regiment of adding tarnish strips to the case ,etc.etc.etc...Modern Yamaha lacquer is fine and relatively low maintenance - oh, and the sound /tone difference for me was zero!!

Registered
YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
I'll go out on a limb and say the silver plating isn't going to affect the sound in the least.

Except in some imagined perceptions.

I think the 82Z is a great choice. I myself am partial to the looks of the black lacquer, and don't care for the look of a silver horn.

But to each his own. Good luck.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
I myself am partial to the looks of the black lacquer, and don't care for the look of a silver horn.
I cannot believe you said that out loud.

Musical instrument String instrument accessory Wind instrument Guitar accessory Reed instrument

P.S. Not thin sounding, not a Yamaha.

SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
The only reason to get a silver-plated horn is if you like how it looks. The plating will have no effect on the sound. I love the look of a silver-plated horn (see Dr G's post above) and I have two silver-plated Buescher Aristocrat tenors. However, I don't think I'd pay a lot extra for silver. Maybe a small amount extra, but not a lot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i made the mistake of getting silver 62s . they both look terrible after a couple years. Id go for the gold lacquer if I had to do it all over . my yas62 and yts 62 in silver don't sound thin. they sound great to me. the player may have something to do with the sound.:unsure:
I'd love to buy a used SILVER YTS-62S from someone who doesn't like taking care of the silver finish as you say. They are hard to find in my area for a decent price.

Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
I鈥檓 a little confused here, and happy to start a new thread if needed, but is it the case that some Yamaha horns are silver and not lacquered and tarnish pretty quickly鈥 and some are silver and lacquered and don鈥檛 tarnish at all, like my YAS-61S which shows absolutely no sign of tarnish and requires no polishing after 40+ years?

i made the mistake of getting silver 62s . they both look terrible after a couple years. Id go for the gold lacquer if I had to do it all over . my yas62 and yts 62 in silver don't sound thin. they sound great to me. the player may have something to do with the sound.:unsure:
The listener bears some responsibility too. If you perceive the sound as acceptable, you may have another adjective that seems less perjorative.

Banned
Humm, Goop point鈥︹ wonder
I鈥檓 a little confused here, and happy to start a new thread if needed, but is it the case that some Yamaha horns are silver and not lacquered and tarnish pretty quickly鈥 and some are silver and lacquered and don鈥檛 tarnish at all, like my YAS-61S which shows absolutely no sign of tarnish and requires no polishing after 40+ years?

Registered
I like silver plate better than lacquer. Silver plate lasts darn near forever. You don't have to be all anal-retentive about it, just let it tarnish down under the mechanism, like the look of a fine Louis Lot flute. Where you touch the silver, it'll stay shiny, for a very attractive patina. After some decades the silver will wear through to brass right where you touch certain keys, but that's the only places, unlike lacquer which will pit and scale off in various places and if there's even the tiniest damage to the lacquer it starts a corrosion that can't be polished away and will progress.

Me, I've got better things to do than polish horns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts