Sax on the Web Forum banner

Yamaha YTS 62 Purple Logo VS Buffet Crampon S1

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  AddictedToSax 
#1 ·
hello guys.

I know, there is some players out there who have tried both of these Horns. I just have the opportunity to get one of these at the same price, but never had tried one personly. I know that the S1 has a more focussed French Sound what I do like very much. The YTS 62 "PL" seems to be more versatile, having more Punch too. Both pretty desirable Horns.

I'd appreciate any comment on these Horns and which one you would prefer.
Also comments on the ergonomics and playability are interesting. I prefer a more compact keywork.

#2 ·
I’ve briefly owned and played both, but not at the same time. Difficult for me to make a comparison.

Going by my memory...

I like them both and I really loved the S1 ( but I have a penchant for special mechanisms such as the Eb-C ).

I didn’t notice anything particular about the keywork of either one .

I understand that some forks don’t like the keys that I’ve mentioned above and if I remember correctly buffet made some S1 without those.

#3 ·
I've owned both.

The S-1 was great - keywork was super slick, intonation was consistent (provided you find one that's A=440), sound was warm and focused. One of the most perfect horns for classical playing, chamber work, or symphonic band work. Didn't have as big/strong of a voice as I like for a "jazz" horn: I remember feeling like it was tough to move a ton of air through the horn, though some players really like that resistance. I'm not saying it couldn't be used as a jazz horn - I think the pigeonholing horns into a certain genre is silly - I'm saying that, for me, it was difficult to get the projection I like when playing jazz. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I found the S-1 to be a fragile horn. The bell-to-body brace is suspect and it seemed that even routine travel/use would cause the low-end to go out of adjustment. I had my S-1 to my tech more often than ANY tenor I've owned and that's ultimately why I sold it.

The PL Yamaha 62 is an altogether different animal. Keywork isn't as cutting-edge as the S-1, but it is industry standard - no complaints. Intonation just as consistent as the S-1 (it's a Yamaha, after all). Sound was brighter, bigger, less refined, less complex (more 1-dimensional). There's a serious PL 62 fanclub out there, so obviously the sound meets a lot of needs. It's a great "blank slate" sound that trends toward brighter than warmer. Construction is much more rugged than the S-1. Personally, I think the YTS-875 Custom (the original Custom) is the best tenor Yamaha ever produced, which is why I own one and chose it over a PL 62.

#8 ·
The only complaint I have with the S1 tenor is the placement of the right hand thumb rest. It’s too far to the right in my opinion.
Except from that I love it. Great sound, nice keywork and excellent intonation.
And i have no problem with it going out of adjustment.

#10 ·
Yes, the S1 thumb rest is a stupid design. I have solved it on my by just removing it and making a new one out of surgu...

#11 ·
I do not know nothing about either one really I am now 64 been playing sax for this is my third year no teacher to cheap. I started with a e bay alto after eight months sold it got a YTS - 26 new well open box I was amazed no leaks my world changed now I liked the sax fast foward 2.5 years I decided because I had a good job made a few dollars that if I was ever going to upgrade now was the time I bought a new 62III I thought after spending all that money I was going to play like Stan Getz the sax got here yesterday It is pretty and solid built and the keys are a little better than my 26 but to my amazement I could not play it one bit better than my 26 ? Oh well I will just keep practicing I hope to get good enough to play in front of people not like in a band or nothing just in front of my friends before I get too old to do it. Sorry if I wrote this in the wrong place it did say 62III
Best
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.