Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a Selmer player myself, and when a friend told me she is finally selling her YTS 62 after buying it new many years ago and almost not playing it I was curious enough to take it home, take some pics and inspect it. She bought it new, took a lesson or two but quickly lost interest.
I have offered her to have it serviced at my favorite workshop since there is one issue: there is a small dent in the front of the neck (see photos below), the neck does hardly fit and you need some effort to carefully insert it. Moreover, once it has been put in, you will find that the octave key does not close but stands at a light distance. It seems that the lever that pushes the ring on the neck is not bent or broken, but I think the neck will have to be worked on.
The finish is really like new which is understandable since it has not been played. The name "Yamaha" is not engraved, but printed in purple or brown-reddish colour.
I am interested in buying the wonderful horn myself, but I can't spend too much money on it. Apart from the problem I have told, it is in mint condition and looks, just like the case it's in, like fresh from the store. Serial number is 018248. If it's worth too much for me to pay, I will sell it and pass on the money. If it is just a moderate price, I might keep it as an interesting tonal variation to my Selmers. So far, without knowing, I have offered her about 900 USD as it is before my tech revises it.
It would be nice if you could inform me about what it might be worth and which problem the neck might have.

Attachments

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Re: Yamaha YTS 62 - need advice on what's it worth and service

Those purple logo horns have a good rep and lots of people are after them

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's a small dent and can be easily removed at a modest cost. The octave key problem may be down to a slightly bent neck - or it might be the key that's bent. Again, easy to fix at moderate cost. The stiff neck is most likely down to dirt - it can be cleaned. Try wiping the tenon sleeve and socket with a little cigarette lighter fluid, and pop a small drop on oil on the tenon sleeve.

It's an early MkI YTS62 and as such represents the best of the genre. If you don't buy it yourself you'll have no trouble at all selling it.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Stephen and SaxPunter, for shedding a little light on my ignorance. And, Stephen, your jugdement of necessary service procedure makes me very optimistic about this horn. Henblower

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I play a purple logo era YTS-62 ser# 00247X, it's in my profile pic.

Mine always played great for me, and if you could get for $900 US I would call that a real bargain for a great horn. I agree the dent isn't a big thing, easy for a good tech to fix.

I think the intonation on my YTS-62 is quite good overall, and the altissimo is nice as well. Pretty comparable player to the Yani 880 alto i used to have (the Yanni was awesome). I think the brass material for the body may be a little lighter/softer than some other horns, maybe for some acoustical purpose (anyone know what i'm talking about?).

Little story...this was my first saxophone in HS, and I played it a lot in college including a season or two of marching band (I was young and naiive, what can I say). The YTS-62 was shelved for a while, and I switched to a Selmer USA, and school horn for marching.

Later, I managed to get the USA stolen, and had a great tech in Chicago (Tom Peterson) do a complete overhaul of my YTS-62. He put in all metal resonator pads and "blue" steel springs to replace the stock ones on the Yamaha which were not as "springy." (I'm sure plastic resonator pads would have been fine, I was just trying to replicate the feel of the other horn which I had gotten used to).

My overhauled YTS-62 played better than ever, simply terrific. I've been thankful ever since that I held on to it (just needed a little) TLC, as I like my overhauled YTS-62 much better than the USA. Only thing I prefer on the Selmer is the l.h. mechanism for the bell keys. The overhaul was almost 20 years ago...

shawn

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Shawn, for an interesting review of the YTS-62 and a good outlook how to improve its performance. Henblower

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a small dent and can be easily removed at a modest cost. The octave key problem may be down to a slightly bent neck - or it might be the key that's bent. Again, easy to fix at moderate cost. The stiff neck is most likely down to dirt - it can be cleaned. Try wiping the tenon sleeve and socket with a little cigarette lighter fluid, and pop a small drop on oil on the tenon sleeve.

It's an early MkI YTS62 and as such represents the best of the genre. If you don't buy it yourself you'll have no trouble at all selling it.

Regards,
Stephen, thanks again for your great advice that has already been very helpful. I cleaned the tenon sleeve and socket and oiled the sleeve afterwards, and now it's easier to fit the neck in. I might have to do this again, but I will take the horn to my tech next week anyway to have it optimized. It has mostly been lying in its case for 99% of its life, and so some oil and some work on the action will surely bring another positive surprise to me.
I fixed the problem of the octave key myself: I stabilized the octave pad so it could not be moved or suffer from the impact, then I carefully bent the ring that is pushed by the lever moved by the octave key a bit backwards, and now the octave key works again perfectly. Nevertheless, my tech will do a proper inspection of this issue as well.
If the lacquer of the neck will suffer from heat or mechanical force, I will not have the tiny dents treated. If it can be done without any harm, I will of course have it done and will certainly take home a 99% mint YTS-62. Thanks again for your help.

Henblower

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Yamaha lacquer is very tough stuff, and a good technician (with a little bit of luck) can often do small soldering jobs without damaging the lacquer. Dentwork will always result in a little damage because the metal under the lacquer gets stretched as the dent is formed. When it's pushed out, even carefully, it often results in a slightly crazed finished to the lacquer over the dented area. This is more noticeable on older horns - modern lacquers tend to be a bit more flexible.

On balance I would rather have the small dents removed in a crook than not - if they were in the body I'd be less inclined to bother about them.

I would caution against replacing the original springs. Those Yamahas were designed to use stainless springs, and as such the pillars are drilled to accomodate their slightly larger diameter. A blued steel spring of the same diameter is much fiercer.
It's unnecessary anyway, with proper adjustment the stainless sprung Yamahas can give you one of the best actions ever fitted to a horn.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stephen, seems you're an expert with these horns, and it's good to have you around. Thanks, henblower

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1
It's unnecessary anyway, with proper adjustment the stainless sprung Yamahas can give you one of the best actions ever fitted to a horn.
great information, Stephen. To be honest I don't know how much difference switching the springs made in mine, but i'm sure the tech took that into account. It's amazing when a horn that's way out of regulation with a number of worn out pads gets overhauled. Or even a basic repad.

Well made saxophones last forever, as evidenced by all of the old Conn, Cigar Cutter, Zephyr, and Super 20s still around.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I love my early 80s YTS 62. It is booted my long term tenor (Couf SuperbaI) to the closet for over a year's worth of gigs. Keywork fits my hands better than any other horn I have tried or owned. Hope you enjoy your new YTS!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just bought a YTS62 Mk1 with the MOP keys.. for only.. wait for it: 850€ thats 1000$ ... it was pretty dirty but after 2hours of cleaning its beginning to look good.

Question to you guys: Can a G1 neck fit on it? The little dings can they be removed without a trace? How to remove rusty spots? Is it necessary to repad all pads?

Sorry but I know Stephen Howard is around here somewhere... ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
The modern yamaha necks should fit it just fine. Get a play condition service, making sure the pads seal and the action is comfortable and quiet. The cosmetics are secondary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My tec just repadded four pads and tweaked it up to perfection for a song.
Won the G1 neck on ebay, it has an amazing sound!!!
Christmas all over again!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was lucky enough to play my early YTS61 (sn 002xx) and a Mk1 62 purple monster next to each other the other day.

My god, they are both monsters. Both were fresh from the shop - same guy worked on them, actually - with stock necks. I found the 61 to be a little more responsive, but damn did that 62 blow. I am still undecided on which one I like better, with my obvious leaning towards my 61. They both seemed to play themselves with lightning quick actions. The 62 was a bit more mouthpiece friendly, accepting a high baffle insanity piece with little consternation.

Yamaha had it right with the first few tries. I am really hoping to get a chance on a Z just to try it out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yamaha Mk1 YTS 62 Purple Logo: mouther of pearl keys. This was changed on subsequent YTS62s and they used plastic instead. I've cleaned waxed and had my tech tweak it right up... it sounds GREAT!

The tech put a transparent attachment that can hardly be noticed to accomodate my nex G1 neck.. everyday its cleaned to try to get it looking new and shiny.

Would recommend it to anyone out there... rather than the new YTS 62s even!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Recently had the 62 Purple Logo completely overhauled all pads replaced, neck cork replaced, felts the whole works.. after a few adjustments its beginning to play extremely well. It's definitely not far from my Selmer...the sound is really amazing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My tec just repadded four pads and tweaked it up to perfection for a song.
Won the G1 neck on ebay, it has an amazing sound!!!
Christmas all over again!
Hi teagan,
Sorry to hijack the thread, just wondered where your tech was based. I'm in france and have been unable to find a decent tech near to where I live.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts