Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Yamaha YTS-62 II off of eBay. I was a little apprehensive about doing so because of some of the reviews I had read. So far I have found that this is a really good saxophone. I used to have a purple logo sax many years ago and it was a great horn. The only thing I didn't like about that one was the notes on the upper end of the horn seemed a little thin to me. I don't get that with the mark II. In fact, with the exception of the plastic key touches this may be a better sax IMHO. Legal disclaimer. Your experience may vary. The bottom line is if you are looking to buy a new sax, I think you should at least give this one a try and not dismiss it because it doesn't have MOP key touches. You may be surprised.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yamaha horns have a good following (as well as some detractors) 'round here. I like their business model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt about the following and detractors. So far this horn works for me and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought a YTS 62 last fall, it was one of those deals you can't say no to. I was very pleasantly surprised by what a great horn it is. It is now the sax that I take when things might be a little too dangerous for the MK VI. I can afford to replace the Yamaha if something bad happened, not the case with the MK VI. Enjoy your horn.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Really good ergos on that horn. The only thing I couldn't come to terms with was the tone itself. But that's a personal issue, and others may differ on it, but if not for that, I would definitely have kept the horn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a YTS 62 last fall, it was one of those deals you can't say no to. I was very pleasantly surprised by what a great horn it is. It is now the sax that I take when things might be a little too dangerous for the MK VI. I can afford to replace the Yamaha if something bad happened, not the case with the MK VI. Enjoy your horn.
You mean you don't have an extra $5,000-$18,000 laying around to replace a Mark VI? :mrgreen: Yeah that's why I didn't really consider a Mark VI. Even though they are great horns; they are way too expensive for my budget.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased the yts 62 II a year ago..great saxaphone and for a great price...The only thing i do not like is that there is no front F key so i cannot easy onto altessimo notes...:((((((((((((((((((((

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the yts 62 II a year ago..great saxaphone and for a great price...The only thing i do not like is that there is no front F key so i cannot easy onto altessimo notes...:((((((((((((((((((((
I don't understand either. Was this a used sax with the front F missing? The front F is a very common feature on modern saxophones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I bought my son a new 62II tenor four years ago. It's been the perfect all-purpose sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
You must have found a Yamaha YTS62II that was built in the 1930s, since most horns built since then have a front F key. Or maybe you were talking about a high F# key, which isn't a neccessity in playing altissimo. F# keys became prominent in the 1970s, so it's a bit difficult to find a horn built since then without one. Maybe you're not talking about a Yamaha?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yamahas have a funny front F lever. There's nothing on the stack rod and no separate rocker, just one lever that combines both jobs. If the hinge rod comes loose it's not hard to lose this lever, but it's also not hard for your local tech to get the lever and rod and put them on the horn. I don't think Yamaha ever sold a sax that didn't have a front F lever when it left the factory.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Yamahas have a funny front F lever. There's nothing on the stack rod and no separate rocker, just one lever that combines both jobs. If the hinge rod comes loose it's not hard to lose this lever, but it's also not hard for your local tech to get the lever and rod and put them on the horn. I don't think Yamaha ever sold a sax that didn't have a front F lever when it left the factory.
YSS 61's don't have a front F key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
..... I like their business model.
Sounds unimportant, but I actually also strongly back that point. I don't think any other maker invests as much as Yam into R&D. They REALLY work on improving their products with a scientific & industrial approach. This reflects in REAL advantages for us musicians: playability, intonation, even tone over the range, keywork comfort, etc... One might appreciate or not their horns for many reasons, but one can only admit that people at Yamaha are really serious about their job. If there is one brand where you know that you get a fair amount of horn for the $$$, then it is Yamaha.
So why no Yammy in my signature ? Well, 'cause I still can afford some european fantasy... "Buy locally" they say.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I'm not surprised.Yamaha have never made a bad horn.They make amazing horns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got to the party and bought a new YTS-62iii about a month ago. I really love it. Great horn, plays wonderful subtones and great upper register (I can't play altissimo notes yet). Spot on intonation and robust keywork. Looking forward to many years with "Beverly"

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I just bought a used Yamaha YTS-62 II off of eBay. I was a little apprehensive about doing so because of some of the reviews I had read. So far I have found that this is a really good saxophone. I used to have a purple logo sax many years ago and it was a great horn. The only thing I didn't like about that one was the notes on the upper end of the horn seemed a little thin to me. I don't get that with the mark II. In fact, with the exception of the plastic key touches this may be a better sax IMHO. Legal disclaimer. Your experience may vary. The bottom line is if you are looking to buy a new sax, I think you should at least give this one a try and not dismiss it because it doesn't have MOP key touches. You may be surprised.
My alto is a YAS-62II. I also have a YTS-875EX. I cannot distinguish any difference in the key touches. Granted, I was a wood worker my whole life and my hands are pretty rough, so maybe my sensitivity is a little off. I love all of my Yamaha's, I have an YSS-82ZR as well. I used to be a vintage guy but why struggle with bad intonation and ergonomics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts