Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a YTS-23 compare to a truely professional sax? Would a beginner be able to tell the differance?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started to learn on a new YTS-275 (european version of 23 I think) but after 6 months bought a (second hand) YTS-61. The 275 was a nice horn but even as a beginner I could tell the difference the YTS-61 had a much deeper resonance, you felt the whole horn vibrate when you played it and the keywork was quicker. If I had my time over again I would have missed out the 275 and gone straight to the YTS-61 especially as they cost about the same.
I also went for a good mouthpiece early on (a morgan) and have not regretted that either.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
I'd have to double what Kimsey said.
I used a Vito (which is a YTS-23 in disguise) for about 6-9 months while I searched for a new pro horn. It was very nice, very sturdy good keyaction & layout, etc.

Tone was actually pretty good too but lacking compared to pro horns.

The keywork simply was a bit too slow especially the octave mechanism for me.

But for a student the horn would have been great.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I'd also agree with what has been said, although I think a complete beginner (someone just starting out) wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. After a period of 6-9 months, the student would know enough to be able to tell the difference, and would feel comfortable with the better horn. I started out on a YAS-23 and now have a YAS-62II. The difference in keywork, sound, and quality is clear to me.

Having said that, the price difference between the two horns used in excellent condition is enough ($500-700 for the 23, and $1,100-1,300 for the 62II) that the beginning student, not knowing if the sax is for them, would find the YAS-23 a great horn to start out on.

Frank

EDIT :confused: - I guess since I mainly play alto, that I see everything through alto colored glasses. I hope all of the above also applies to the YTS... If not, as Emily Litella would say, "Never mind".

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've changed from a student sax to a YTS 62 and by comparison the workings of the octave key on the student was like that of a canal lock gate.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well, I had to borrow a YTS 23 a couple of weeks ago and would've easily used it on pay gigs or concerts. Is it my horn of preference? No. But I was amazed at its playability, ergonomics and I got a pretty good sound out of it. A lot of it, IMO, is the horn/mpc etc, but a lot of it is the player, also. Judged on most students I teach and hear, they could get a lot of use out of a Yamaha "entry-level" sax before they really need something upper class.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My tech (who is a very accomplished player) plays a YTS 23 as his tenor of choice. They have all the usual Yamaha virtues - solid build, good ergos, good intonation, easy to blow with a clear flexible sound. I second what Gary has to say. When I'm asked by a prospective beginner what to buy I always advise 23s (or 275s if buying new). It will take even a talented student quite awhile to get to the point where the horn is holding them back (if ever).
Yamaha's new fancy necks should fit it ok so a relatively cheap upgrade will give you richer tones for a fraction of the price of a new horn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which necks would you recommend? I never thought about this before. Great idea. I just bought a YTS 23. I am just getting back into the saxophone after 25 years of not playing (wish I would not never stopped). I played for 10 years before. I thought this was cheaper way to get back into it before shelling out more money.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd also like to hear about the neck upgrades ...... I'm hoping to trade my jazz guitar (an Eastman that I rarely play) for a Yamaha YAS-23. I played it today, haven't played in 6 years and only for 6 months back then. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to play and get a fat sound from.

Turtle

·
Registered
860 Posts
Someone reported in this thread that G1 neck didn't fit the 23 perfectly, though - just be careful, I think it's better to try the neck before you buy it. The newly issued 280 (and, as I gather, also the 26 - the "new" 23) iterations of the standard level Yamahas do have a new neck receiver to enable the use of the upgrade necks.

M.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
How does a YTS-23 compare to a truly professional sax? Would a beginner be able to tell the difference?
In short, hardly at all (supposing both horns are in decent condition). Without wishing to be too sarky, it is clearly the player that is professional (or not) rather than the sax. 12 months of lessons (with a good teacher) on a YTS23 would be much better than a professional sax without the lessons. IMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Going back to this old thread. I own a Yamaha alto (475) and a Yani soprano (901). I am looking for a tenor sax just to start playing the tenor, I tried a YTS-26 and a Cannonball Scepter, I think the tone of the Yamaha was overall more consistent through highs and lows (which is curious, since the Cannonball is na intermediate horn). Therefore, I am thinking on buying a YTS-23 in good condition (I could also look for a YTS-52, but a good one would cost 700-900 USD, which I am afraid I cannot afford at the moment). I consider myself an advancing student, but I am not a pro. Would you recommend waiting on a bit to gather some cash and going straght to the YTS-52 or the YTS-23 would be considered a good horn to start with?

Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,093 Posts
How does a YTS-23 compare to a truely professional sax? Would a beginner be able to tell the differance?
The YTS-23 is a great horn for a beginner. You don't need a pro horn, worry about that years from now. To me it would be like thinking I had to get the same clubs Tiger Woods uses to learn how to play golf...............

3,364 Posts
I would compare a well set up 23 with new top of the range horn to reading a paperback or a leather bound first edition. You will still get as much content out of the paperback, but the leather bound edition will feel nicer in the hands and more fitting when you are sitting at your finely carved Louie XV1 writing desk in your private mahogany lined library, wearing your velvet monogrammed slippers. But remember Louie had his head chopped off.:)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,877 Posts
The YTS-23 is a great horn for a beginner. You don't need a pro horn, worry about that years from now. .
It is years from now - see date of post you quoted :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi again. I am sorry if someone has answered my question, but do you think that the YTS 52 in comparison with the YTS 23 makes a whole lot of difference in tone, build quality etc? I am asking this because due to my budget restrain I can only buy a YTS 23 right now, but in case you would suggest getting a better horn, I could wait some more time and go directly for a YTS 52 or maybe an used 62 (though the difference in price between the 52 and the 62 is considerable). I am acquainted with Yamahas saxes, for me they are very good in ergonomics, tone etc (at least my alto is). I wish I could get a Yani tenor, but at the time money is somewhat short! Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to clarify, I am only talking about used horns (not new, I could not afford a 23 new at the moment). I am considering spending 500-1000 dollars, in principle.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hi Paulo,

Looking at your profile, I see that you are an adult--a lawyer, no less! With that in mind, I would suggest buying the YTS-52, unless that is too much of a financial burden.

For the first couple of months, a beginner probably would not notice the difference between the YTS-23 and a 52 or anything else. But within a relatively short period of time, certainly less than a year for most, the differences will become apparent.

If buying a horn for a child, I would almost always suggest something like the 23. For one thing, children sometimes don't stick with music, and you don't want to spend a lot of money on a horn that winds up sitting in the closet after two months. And the 23's a good horn!

But as an adult beginner, if you're reasonably sure you're going to stick with this, I would suggest buying the best horn you can reasonably afford. A used 52 is an excellent bet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts