Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there done a comparison between these two sops? I've played an 875 (one of the first 1000 if that makes a difference) for 20 years, and nothing for me has come close enough to be my first choice yet, but I'd love to hear a comparison..(have always used the straight crook)
Bore/weight/action/tone/build etc...particularly interested in bore, is it large like an 875? (I've got a yani curved bronze sc992, which is great, awesome in fact, but I love the big bore thing on the 875, so flexible, big etc..)
Gonna go test one as soon as I get a chance...
Anyhow, your thoughts folks?

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Good question you pose.

The 82Z is a tighter bore, more refined than the 875.
I prefer my Yani S800 over the 82Z for the same reason.

If you like that "big bore thing" (like me!), then the 875 will be the one.

I'll be interested to hear your comparison when you get your hands on an 82Z.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
Geez, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what IS the big-bore thing? What measurements did you guys take to conclude the 82Z is tighter than the 875? Please tell me - I'm dying to know. DAVE

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know about bore sizes for the 82z hence the question, but when i bought the 875 all those years ago one of the selling points was a larger bore (as i remember).. For me the 875 just does it, the Yani sc992 seems/feels to be a smaller bore design, and i was wondering if the 82z is an evolutionary step from the 875 series, or a completely different beast.. more akin to a vi sop, or yani sop..Hey I don't claim to be a massive knowledge and maybe I'm wrong about bore sizes, but in my experience the bigger bore horns seem to work for me better...My favourite tenors always seem to be bigger bore variations, early SBA over Mk VI, also love Conn 10m and King Super 20...(although i didn't like the keilwerth sx90 etc, which i think is large bored, but i was much younger when i had one of those)
Anyhow all info is good!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the big bore thing.. hmm, harder to control, but more to control... bit like the difference between a Buffet r13 clarinet, and a Boosey and Hawkes 1010, different beasts, different schools of thought.. French style vs English...

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Geez, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what IS the big-bore thing? What measurements did you guys take to conclude the 82Z is tighter than the 875? Please tell me - I'm dying to know. DAVE
C'mon, Dave- it's a descriptive phrase that a lot of us recognize as useful in describing how a horn accepts the airstream. Lacy knew what it meant; so do a zillion alto and tenor players right on this forum.

I'm with you, though-PULEEZE let's not go down this road again.
Peace!

·
14,348 Posts
Joe: No anger intended, just commentary. If the term BIG-BORE is subjective, fine.

Now I understand . . . everyone means "freeblowing" rather than a literal BIGGER BORE. I guess all of my seven sopranos (vintage to modern) are BIG-BORE sopranos . . . they have big voices, they sound BIG, and they sure play easily enough. Of course, that has nothing to do with me, the horns' playing condition, or the mouthpiece set-ups I've chosen.

C'mon, Joe . . . not choosing to go down that road again, just responding to what I think is bogus. My opinion, not Lacy's. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
He is trying to agree with you...

·
14,348 Posts
I queried here instead of Google - and got an answer. SOTW is just as good as Google in some things.

Jake, I suspect side-by-side comparisons are going to be difficult. Few of us have even seen the new Yamaha Z and I'm betting few have or have played the 875. Given the circumstances in many retailers these days, I'd really be interested to know if some store in SoCal has both in stock. I'd love to do a side-by-side. But even then, all you get is two horns (one of each) and that is hardly an objective comparison. Interesting? Sure. Indicative of the whole two lines? No. DAVE

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, i'm aware that horns from the same range can sometimes be subtly different, but anyhow, if anyone has thghts that'd be great..
i think sax.co has some here in london, I might try a trip into town and see how they are.. if so will try n record some bits if i can.. although wholly subjective, it might be interesting, or at least fun...

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I replaced my 875 soprano with a 82Z, and although I can speak in general terms about them, I didn't have time to do a side-by-side shootout like I'd hoped before I had to ship the 875 to its new home.

In general, though, the 82Z is significantly lighter in weight, and responds faster (to me) than the 875 did. It's different enough that the Z is taking a bit of getting used to. Being a Yamaha, it's stiffly sprung, but I'll be working with my tech on that. Still, the horn played really nicely right out of the box.

A couple friends have 62 sopranos, so I'm planning on getting their opinions on how they compare sometime soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Did you got with the bent neck or straight?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Straight neck.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts