Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my question is simple: I can't get both at the same price but I can try the 61 only as the 475 II is at 1000 km from my home. The 61 is the 1st Yamaha pro model but it's less modern than the 475 II. Of course the 61 has some lacquer issues while the other looks mint ( though it's not a big problem to me ).

What's your opinion?

Thanks for helping!!

· Registered
3,211 Posts
I own a 61 and it’s a really resonant, free blowing horn. It doesn’t have a front F, but plays really well in tune. Mechanically, other than the lack of a front F it feels pretty modern. My complaint is that although it’s a very singing, resonant tone the horn lacks some core perhaps. The metal is super light, and that’s great for holding the horn but I think it contributes to it seeming maybe a little “shallow” at times. I don’t play a lot of soprano, so for me it’s not a huge issue. If I played more soprano, I would likely want a newer horn.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd go for the 475 , if the 61 would have been flawless I would have gone for that one
Yeah, the 61 wouldn't win a beauty queen contest...honestly I know nothing about Yamaha sopranos other than all the guys who have one are really satisfied. My heart would go for the 61 but my brain for the 475. Any other opinions?

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,464 Posts
I haven’t played a 61 but the 475 I owned was the most in tune soprano I’ve ever played! My teacher at the time talked me into selling it to him, big mistake!

· Registered
2,391 Posts
Ah, to me this is the "bird in the hand" issue. Since you can try the 61 then that's what I'd do. If it plays great (reasonably in tune) and has the sound you desire, then buy it. You could get the 475 and not like it and then you're stuck with a horn you don't want, or if you can send it back you're stuck with that hassle. If you try the 61 and it's a dud, then move on the 475.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.