Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I like it that they went back to a fixed neck construction, and that is one great looking horn. I wonder how it sounds?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would have gone about unpacking that sax alittle differently. I would have gone right for the actual sax first. The owners manual, mouthpiece, reeds and neckstrap would've been pulled out last, only to make room for my own stuff. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you happywith this insturment ? I'm planning to buy yamaha or jupiter soprano sax thsese days. Does anybody have information in that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
My store just got an 82z in Lacquer and I have to say it is quite the horn.

I have never been unhappy with my soprano - it's a Yanagisawa made "Whitehall" which is a VI Copy. I play a french Coast blank which has been opened up to as far as my refacer said seemed safe, and I play Hemke 3 Reeds with a Vandoren optimum ligature on it. This gives me as big a sound as I feel I can get. It's quite the beast.

This morning I came in early to try out the 82z and it really surprised me. I've only ever played 1 other horn that I felt really was on par with my horn which was a Selmer SA80, it wasn't really better it just had some extra warmth to the sound. The 82Z though, wow! First off, the intonation was awesome: Everything seemed to sit within 5-10 cents sharp/flat without much adjusting to the embouchure/oral cavity. The placement of the Keys is great in particular the palm keys, often I find palm keys are just uncomfortable on a soprano sax - the 82z has nailed it as far as I'm concerned. The tone I can produce with it is wel... GREAT! It really sings! If I have any complaint about my soprano is that as I push it, the horn gets just a touch bright. The custom Z has a good brightness to the horn but as I push the sound seems to continue to spread and not thin out/brighten up, which is amazing. I'm no huge fan of yamaha horns on the whole, they are great but they aren't really my bag, this horn however, is a force to be reckoned with!!

If you love sopranos - Check this one out!

·
Registered
647 Posts
The 82z is supposed to be a reincarnation of the 62, with a few improvements (palm key placement.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts