Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys would love to get some advice on purchasing a Yamaha soprano sax.
since i"ve bin out of luck trying to get the Yamaha yss 62r,(yes even fell for that second chance offer on ebay lost only $1800) I decided to settle for a 675 or 875. currently I came across two horns one is a 675 which was offered to me thru a dealer for the price of$2000 & the other is the 875 (older modle not EX) wich was offerd to me privtely for the amount of $2200. since there both in dif loc it is hard for me to play test them side by side. would love to get your input --Joe

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sorry to read about your 2nd chance scam.
How does that work?

I haven't played a YSS875 which comes with 2 necks. (straight and curved)

I did own a 675 that came with one neck (second hand to me but I believe this to be true from new)
It was fine. Truely typical of a professional yamaha quality sax.
I now have a yanagisawa SC901 and I can't say it has any intonation or colour advantages, I wanted a curved horn, thats all.
Generally speaking from experience of owning a 62 alto, and an 875 tenor the 675 is just 'in there' with 'em if that makes any comparative sense?
I think I'd be happy either way and base my decision on budget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jmm1713 said:
Definitely the 675 -- if i had some more $ i would literally order one right this second .
hey jamm, wondering why you prefer the 675 over the 875. Any experience with either one of them that you can share?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did own a 675 that came with one neck (second hand to me but I believe this to be true from new)
My used 675 came with two necks, the curved stamped "M1R" and the straight stamped "M1". I haven't tried the 875, but I'm reasonably happy with the 675. The bis key is kind of awkward for me though. My tech commented on it, too. I asked him if he could lower it while I was in for a spring repair, but was in a hurry and we didn't discuss it seriously.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Saxfreak -

If you are determined to go for a Yami sop and can't find a 62R, I highly recommend the regular, one-piece 62. Try to find one with the purple (silkscreen).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Saxfreak -

If you are determined to go for a Yami sop and can't find a 62R, I highly recommend the regular, one-piece 62. Try to find one with the purple (silkscreen).
Why?..............Daryl

·
Registered
455 Posts
Everything else being the same (with condition of saxes), and 200.00 is the only difference and your budget can handle it, I would say go with the custom. I've compared them (675 & 875) 11 years ago and have never regretted going with the 875. I've owned the VI soprano and the silkscreen 62 soprano and I still put it above the rest. Never even think about seeking another soprano. This of course is my opinion. Play before you pay. Good luck - Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts