Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just purchased a YSS-475 and need a bit of advice. Unlike other Yamaha instruments I have purchased in the past it has a different engraving style and looks like its laser etched, but not like the really bad copies I have seen. The keywork looks similar to other YSS-475s I have seen and the Pads look correct with the plastic resos, but something about it just seems off to me. Can anyone tell me for sure if it is counterfeit or not? The case is not original and it didn't come with a mouthpiece. I can take more photos at different angles if that will help. Thanks Everyone! View attachment 223574 View attachment 223576 View attachment 223578 View attachment 223580

Distinguished SOTW Member

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
it is real, certainly not laser etched

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
I see what you mean. Something about the Yamaha Logo seems off and the etching looks more stamped. I wish I had one in my hands to compare. Sorry - Not helpful I know - but I don't think you're crazy.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
it鈥檚 only the light being accentuating the contour of the engraving this is a 475 II

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I got my hands on another YSS-475 to compare it with. The sound quality is very similar and from the discussion here, I'm going to conclude it was an YSS-475 II before they started labeling them as such next to the serial. Thank you again!

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Related to this inquiry, do the Chinese even make a one piece soprano design? Everything I've seen from them have been 2 neck Selmer Serie III clones. The counterfeiters usually don't pay much attention to detail, so a fake Yamaha 475 would probably have 2 necks, and needle springs. A 475 would be an odd horn to copy. They're fantastic sopranos, but more of a player's horn than a collector's item with a high markup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts