Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Yamaha YCL-221 II. The lower tenon has only the rubber rings and no cork. I understand that this by design but it leaves the joint a little loose compared with the middle joint. It rocks a little when playing and gets out of alignment far too easily. Any ideas? The rubber on the rings looks fine. I don't get it but at this point, I wish it had some cork! Anyone else with this experience? Any way to fix it? Defect in just mine??

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Mine is the exact opposite. It's fits very tightly and is sometimes tough to get apart. I guess it's better that way than what you're experiencing. I say send it back and have them get it right.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. The middle joint with the cork is almost impossible and the bottom just slides on and of. I guess they can't get it right every time but it sure would be nice. I do like the Yamaha over the Vito I had with this one exception. There's really no comparison to me. Thanks again!!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
"...The middle joint with the cork is almost impossible and the bottom just slides on and of...."

If that is the case, then one of the following:

1. You need a decent cork grease such as Alisyn or Doctor Slick

2. The cork needs to be sanded a little thinner. Far easier to do before you get cork grease on it. But do not sand the body material!

3. The body material itself is jamming, in which case it needs to be turned down slightly.

I think there are good engineering reasons why O-rings are an inferior idea for use on tenons. If the joint is to be taken apart regularly, then the rings need lubrication, but retain it very poorly. By comparison, cork is a wonderful material.

But perhaps there exists some elastomer O-rings of a material that incorporates Molybdenum firmly attached to its molecules, as a lubricant. Something like the self-lubricating formulations of nylon, which are unsuitable here because they are not elastomers.

If so, I have not come across it yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,001 Posts
For the cork, what Gordon said. For the wobbly o-ring tenon, maybe try wrapping some teflon over the ring? I'm not sure if it will work like it works with cork but worth trying. It might end up less temporary that it was meant to be :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good timing on this thread. I too am wishing for a tighter fit on my new/used 221.

Yeah, I wonder why they didn't use any cork down there? Strange.

Mark H.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. You need a decent cork grease such as Alisyn or Doctor Slick

2. The cork needs to be sanded a little thinner. Far easier to do before you get cork grease on it. But do not sand the body material!

But perhaps there exists some elastomer O-rings of a material that incorporates Molybdenum firmly attached to its molecules, as a lubricant. Something like the self-lubricating formulations of nylon, which are unsuitable here because they are not elastomers.

Wow! Maybe you can help Yamaha to rethink their design! I think you could give them some better ideas!

I am definitely getting the better cork grease. What I'm using just isn't working well and seems to evaporate very quickly. I did sand the middle tenon cork a bit last night and there is some improvement so at least I won't be in as much danger of putting it out of adjustment by just assembling it. The middle tenon uses what appear to be the same rings on either side of the cork. I can't help but wonder if the missing cork is a manufacturing error or just an experiment gone awry. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use both cork grease (on the cork) and a lubricant that i got with my WX5 Windcontroller ( for the rubber on the mouthpiece) works real well on my bass clarinet rubber rings, but mine is tight at both the center joint and the bell, so the lubricant solved that problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts