Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I just received a new YBS-62 horn from Woodwind and Brasswind and I am taking advantage of their Trial Period. (After 6 months of looking locally I haven't found the best of horns) A teacher I know recommended checking out the P.Mauriat 300 DK horn and said he's heard good things about them, I have yet to try one or find a store that carries them in my area (I'm currently an hour North of LA).

I am just curious as to what you all might think of the P.Mauriat Brand (is it mostly hype for a new brand or do they do all that they say?)

I've check other threads, but the Sax v Sax thread seems like the right place.
Other link about a YBS-52 v. 300DK
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43490

If I am in the wrong spot please feel free to make the necessary adjustments.

--Horns--

- I currently play a metal Yanagisawa mouth piece (size 7) for bari

- I had a YBS-52 (school horn) and I liked it, at festivals I would receive positive comments of the tone and sound quality.

Now that school is ending I would have no horn, so I ordered a YBS-62 (came with a tiny ding in the bell, which only affects the looks, but maybe psychologically it will bother me so I should send it back :p )

- I like the YBS-62's sound, but it's a lot of money and I think I need to do everything to make the right decision, after all, it is going to need to last me a lifetime...

- I am looking for a horn that will last, I don't really want to waste money by buying a $4,000 horn and then having to buy a $6,000 horn in a couple years (which was the logic for getting a YBS-62)

If you have any suggestions as to what I need to look for in the sound of the YBS-62 while I have it, or any other horn I can play test that would be great.

Also - I mainly play bari, but as I move on to college level bands I figure I might need to look into Alto, Tenor, Saprano, Clarinets, Flutes, etc etc... Does anyone have any information on school bands that have Saprano --> Bass saxophones for student use? Thanks again

Thanks a ton

- JMGregorchuk

P.S. - I have about 38 more days for the Woodwind and Brasswind trial period, but I might send the horn back sooner so I do not get blamed for the ding it came with. But... Comming up is our final concert of the year, I am playing Sophisticated Lady, my private teacher suggested the best way to really test out a horn is in concert so I am going to play it on the YBS-62 and just sit 10ft away from everyone to avoid any scratches or dings :)
Thanks again - I am just feeling so cautious about finding the right horn - sorry about the length

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,668 Posts
The Yami 62 is a revered model (the best of Yamaha ever?). But, what you have heard about the P Mauriat bari should be true. I have not played a P Mauriat bari, but have owned, played, and reviewed its tenors, altos, and sopranos, and I can say that with the exception of the sops, the other P M horns are remarkable.

FYI, the P M sop I had was a curvy. And in this particular area, I don't think anyone has bypassed the Japanese (Yani) and the Italians (Borgani and Rampone and Cazzani), IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,332 Posts
Welcome to SOTW. I too live about an hour north of L.A. If you don't go to Jim Scimonetti's store in Lancaster, CA, you will be considered to be beyond help.

Jim carries PM saxophones - and a lot more. You will not regret the short drive. DAVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, Thank a ton. Going to call him up first, the seem to be in high demand.

To double check it's the Woodwind and Brasswind Repair and Rentals at 701 West Ave. K, Suite 130, Lancaster, CA 93534, correct?

Thanks again

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,332 Posts
John: Yes . . . 661-729 2520. If he has ANY baritones (any brand), it would probably be worth your time to check them out. I recall seeing a bari the last time I was there - which was last week. DAVE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, just like in cars, I think late-model used Japanese baris might be the best thing around. Bought a near-mint YBS62 on ebay, and besides the lack of a linked pinky cluster, it's the same as a new 62 at about half the price ($3300 shipped). As long as I keep it tuned, I'm guessing I'll never find its limits.

Played a Yani 900-series and felt the same way. Plays great, and 10-20 year old functionally perfect models pop up used online and in random sax shops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts