Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

What are the Yamaha YBS 52 Bari's going for in Near Mint...

Mint...

Very Good, but has dents where they usually are, lower bow and top elbow...

Good, but also has dents at the usual spots. Thanks...

Philo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I check FleaBay once a year when I update my insurance inventory. IIRC, most were going for between $2300 and $3000. I insure mine for $3500, because I always assume that a FleaBay horn will need some major work.

Mine is an older horn, but I had the dents removed many years ago, and it only has a couple minor dings - one near the strap ring, and one on the bell.

Given the treatment that most baris get, finding a mint one could be tough unless it is NOS sitting in some dealers storeroom.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... SaxHound...

Now, If You had the choice... Which would you purchase... A Yamaha 52, which will needs some work and has the typical dents, and go by the seller saying it's in great shape? or purchase a brand new Taishan Baritone at 1,500.00? or one from Kessler at a discounted 2,399.00. I'm really trying to get a foot hold on the ways I can go with purchasing a bari...

Philo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
I know a lot of people like their new Taishan/Kessler/etc. baris and there’s probably a reason for that, but...

If I felt confident in the seller I’d take a used YBS-52 or vintage Yanagisawa every time. Both brands have proven themselves through generations for their performance and construction. If I were buying a low-a, it would be a 52 or Yani.

Again, I’m not trying to say there’s anything wrong with the others, it’s just 52’s are that consistent and reliable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I have only played a Conn 12M (a real beater), a Mark VI low A (poorly maintained college owned horn) and my Yamaha (early 90's vintage). Never played any of the newer Asian horns. That said, I would stick with my Yamaha, and if something happened to it, I would try to get another one (52 or 62). Before I moved to Tennessee Paul Maslin used to service my horns. When he played my 52, he always raved about the sound.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys... I'm getting the kind of feed back I was expecting... Now, with that said... I'll try to grab the Yamaha.

Philo

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks... SaxHound...

Now, If You had the choice... Which would you purchase... A Yamaha 52, which will needs some work and has the typical dents, and go by the seller saying it's in great shape? or purchase a brand new Taishan Baritone at 1,500.00? or one from Kessler at a discounted 2,399.00. I'm really trying to get a foot hold on the ways I can go with purchasing a bari...

Philo
Check this one out: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_baripro_l_baritone_sax.htm

I have one, it's really good - but I don't have any experience with other baritones so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
If a ybs-52 is good enuf for leo p. Then its good enuf for anyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts