Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the long thread title I'm new to the forums and thought that this would be the best place for my question, but if I'm wrong I'm sorry. My query relates to what saxophone I should buy. Just a bit of background, I played for about four years a while back but haven't played since because I don't have my own. I am now thinking of buying my own and have a particular seller in mind they have the above models in stock second hand. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what they think would be my best bet after a lot of research I'm at more of a loss than I was before I read anything. I've put a bit more information about each them below.

King 660
Excellent condition. w/ mouthpiece, reeds, strap and hard case $999 AUD

Yamaha YAS23
Like new. With spare mouth piece, strap & case $999 AUD

Yamaha YAS-275
Also pretty much like new but I've read about the faults this model can suffer from. $999 AUD

Amati Kraslice Super Classic
Made in Czechoslovakia mid 1980's. Just been completely serviced! (although I did hear some rattling when I went to check it out) Includes reeds, mouthpiece, strap, spare pads and case $699 AUD

Selmer AS600L
The one I am most leaning towards. Lovely as new condition Alto Saxophone - Aristocrat Model - With Strap, Mouthpiece, Reeds and Hard Case (also has a nice engraving on it) $899 AUD

Dolnet Royal Jazz
Gold Plated. Comes with two mouthpieces, some reeds, stand, and the original case (although I noticed it was a bit corroded) $999 AUD

I really appreciate any help thanks so much guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,984 Posts
Personally I'd go with the Dolnet.
You'll likely get plenty of people saying the 23, but you can't compare the sound of a Dolnet to a 23.
It will be a heavier horn though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I also say the Dolnet followed by a YAS-23. The Dolnet will hold its value better.

Don't pay $999 AUD for a YAS-23, though. Keep an eye on eBay (and whatever other buy/sell networks exist in Australia) and you should be able to find a YAS-23 in excellent physical and playing condition for less than $600 AUD. Alternatively, look for a Japanese-made Vito alto, which is a basically a YAS-23 w/ a different name (and go for less money).

The Amati would come in third for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts