Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

As per my previous thread (http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?155614-Need-help-on-what-to-buy!-)), I actually do have the option now of getting either the Yamaha YAS23 or YAS275E, as Yamaha will be having a sale this coming Friday. The 23 is priced at SGD$990, and the 275E at SGD$1290 (conversion rate to USD is about slightly below 1.3 SGD to 1 USD), so both are within an acceptable price range for me. The catch though, is that they are likely to be display sets, so I don't know what condition they may be in (anyone care to give some advice on this?)

As of now, I'm quite inclined to get the 275E, since the resale value for it is probably quite decent (apparently the original price is SGD$2150). I heard it's made in Indonesia though, so I'm not too sure of the quality. Or should I just stick with the 23? I guess what I'm looking for here is a comparison between the 23 and the 275E. What are the differences between both, and is it worth it to pay $300 more for the differences?

Alternatively, should I still be considering other models such as the ones mentioned in my previous post, despite the apparently reduced prices on the Yamahas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?7010-The-YAS-23-vs.-the-YAS-275

Those are pretty good prices, and they are better than the other horns you mentioned in your other threads. Either would be a good choice. Hopefully the thread above may provide some feedback from folks who apparently have owned both.

Now, regarding display models...I wouldn't worry about it. It can be a great way to get a new horn on a discount. But DO ask the store to make sure it has been serviced and set up and is ready to go, and whether or not the warranty is still included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your always fast replies, JayeSF! Thanks also for the link and the advice! Will be sure to ask. Just hope they still have those models! So exciting! Hahaha :p

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
based on the conversion rate!..you can get the 23 cheaper than that usually!,they are both excellent!..personally i prefer the 23! to the 275!, i dont know if there is any chance of bargaining?,on the prices but it may be worth a go!..good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JayeSF: Yup, I will! Planning to go down on the opening day at the opening hour! :p

jazzcat58: I guess you could probably get it cheaper where you are, but being where I am from, this looks like it's a pretty good deal already (and much better than usual. I'm getting at least $500 off the 23 and at least $800 off the 275!...I think). It's stated that it's nett price though, so won't be able to bargain. Still, it's a great window of opportunity! Now I'll just have to worry about not learning bad habits. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys!

Since I asked for your opinions, I feel it's only right I update you guys on what I got. I've gotten the YAS 275E. Unfortunately I won't be able to start learning/playing until at least after mid-May, since I'm having exams in May (not that I haven't tried playing yet. But it sure is difficult to start off with!). Looks like I'll still have to hold off the excitement further. But at least I now have a new instrument to play (and a nice one!) :)

P.S. I'm also having a terrible terrible load of ulcers in my mouth (4 under my tongue and a whole lot more in the back of my throat). Bahh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts