Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a YAMAHA YAS-52 Alto Sax in 1997 for about $1,000. It was slightly used and in excellent condition. Since then, it's only had about 3 years of consistent use. I have no idea how to go about selling it. Should I get it appraised somewhere, or just auction it online? It has some light scratches and normal wear, but I believe all the pads and keys are in good condition. I'd say its in the $500 - $700 range, but don't have a lot to base that on. Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Is there a technician in your area? Take it in and ask for a quote to get it tuned up. If it needs less than $100 to get it tuned up, that would be a good investment. Then you can list that its been recently checked over by a tech and is all tuned up. If it needs more than maybe $150, I'd leave it for the buyer and note in the listing that it needs a tune up (the tech'll tell you what it needs -- a few pads replaced, or an adjustment, or the like).

You'll get the most money for it if you list it on ebay and are willing to ship it. Take LOTS of quality pictures. Personally, I prefer to sell here in the "Marketplace -- Saxophones -- Horns for Sale" section because I find it a bit easier and less hassle. But, it requires a bit more trust, and usually doesn't result in as much money. Your estimate re value is probably quite close, depending on playing condition.

If you're not willing to ship, craigslist is the only plausible choice for a local sale. It usually results in the least money and the most scammers, IMO. But, it can be successful.

·
Registered
865 Posts
... It was slightly used and in excellent condition. ... It has some light scratches and normal wear, but I believe all the pads and keys are in good condition. I'd say its in the $500 - $700 range.... Any suggestions?
IMHO, I think you already have the "general/fair" information about the sax. As Mr MartinTenor said, if you have some good & accurate pictures to show it off, there is great chance you could sell it here - it's a very fair-priced YAS-52.

If you could tell us where about you are and/or a bit more about yourself, I am sure there might be some "local" SOTWer(s) who can check/atest for you...

BTW: Welcome to SOTW

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll check around. I saw you're in Indianapolis. I'm actually moving to Bloomington this summer, so if I don't get around to getting it tuned up here in the next couple months, maybe you have some suggestions of technicians up there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
tewchi -- yep, Musicians' Repair on capital street in Indianapolis. Its right downtown, and the guys there are EXCELLENT. Heck, if you've got this horn in town, I may even be interested in buying it if we can figure out a price. Drop me a note if you're coming through town.

Welcome to SOTW, and welcome (slightly in advance) to Indiana.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interested in this horn once you have it looked at. Let me know what you find out. This is for a HS jazz band player so I really do not want to go bankrupt over the purchase, but we are well beyond nursing the YAS 23 along. Thanks! Jonathan ([email protected])

1 - 6 of 6 Posts