Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Your english is pretty good.... ;)

So, you are comparing a very established, popular, good-reputation brand which has been around for 60 years, and sells for around $1300+usd NEW, to a 'house' brand which has only been marketed for around 10 years, and has a price tag of around $300-500.

They will likely be quite different, and most people would say if those are your choices, buy a Yamaha.

However...most of those people will likely never have played a Thomann...so it is a bit hard to get a good, full answer from somebody who hasn't tried both makes.

But generally speaking, the Yamaha is likely going to be a better sax over the LONG run (years and years later)....which is one reason it costs 3-4x that of a Thomann.

I would assume.

Hopefully somebody who has tried one will respond to you, too.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,164 Posts
What Jaye said. Also, You can do a bit of research right here on the forum using the “search community” bar on the top of the page. Lots of results for “Thomann” and many of them are questions/ comments regarding their house brand instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,512 Posts
Also @dogusycblt ....Are these the only two brands/choices you have available to you ?
What Jaye said. Also, You can do a bit of research right here on the forum using the “search community” bar on the top of the page. Lots of results for “Thomann” and many of them are questions/ comments regarding their house brand instruments.
Yes, indeed, look at that...a few discussions on them. Looks like a few Forum members have actually tried one....They seem to have received mixed reviews:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Although I haven't tried them, I would choose Yamaha 480

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll be the person that Jaye assumed was going to comment.

Yamaha will hold their resale value better, you'll likely be able to get them fixed anywhere and they'll be more consistent if you have to get a new saxophone. +1 Yamaha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So, you are comparing a very established, popular, good-reputation brand which has been around for 60 years, and sells for around $1300+usd NEW, to a 'house' brand which has only been marketed for around 10 years, and has a price tag of around $300-500.

They will likely be quite different, and most people would say if those are your choices, buy a Yamaha.

However...most of those people will likely never have played a Thomann...so it is a bit hard to get a good, full answer from somebody who hasn't tried both makes.

But generally speaking, the Yamaha is likely going to be a better sax over the LONG run (years and years later)....which is one reason it costs 3-4x that of a Thomann.

I would assume.

I would assume.

Thank you for answer the question. i add the new sax model. jupiter jas 700q. Do you have a idea?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes I did. but. but I didn't find what I was looking for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[QUOTE = "KennyZ, gönderi: 4276915, üye: 25570"]
Denememiş olsam da Yamaha 480'i seçerdim
[/ALINTI]
thank you answer the question. but do you have a idea? jupiter jas700q?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be the person that Jaye assumed was going to comment.

Yamaha will hold their resale value better, you'll likely be able to get them fixed anywhere and they'll be more consistent if you have to get a new saxophone. +1 Yamaha.
thank you. do you have a idea jupiter jas700q?

·
Registered
235 Posts
thank you. do you have a idea jupiter jas700q?
I'm personally not a fan of Jupiter instruments- I think they're made out of very light metal and it doesn't sit right with me. That said, if you can try them and you like it I wouldn't say it's a BAD saxophone by any means, just not as good as Yamaha IMHO.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Good choice. Yamaha is the safest buy. Either the 280 or the 480 would be a great purchase for a first saxophone. These are very well built instruments that hold resale value if you want to sell it in the future.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for the record. The Thomann models that are under discussion here are not the basic line. Handmade = 1000 €, Custom line = 1300 €. I have never played one but these receive quite different, positive reviews here in Germany than the basic quality that comes at 300 - 500 €. Having said that, a Yamaha will hold its value better than a house brand.

Alphorn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,281 Posts
The Jupiter horns are actually pretty darn good for the price.
Personally I prefer their tone to that of the Yamaha’s.
They can usually be picked up pretty cheap on the used market also.
People love the Yamaha student models for some reason and tend to automatically just say “get the Yamaha”.
I’m not as enamoured with them as most.
Jupiters can be nice horns as can the Keilwerth ST90’s.
In fact I prefer the ST90’s over both Yamaha and Jupiter.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
With that budget I'd buy a used saxophone. Maybe an older yanagisawa or a Yamaha YAS-61.
Or a used YAS-275/280 which should be around half of the price of a new one if you purchase it from a private person.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The better thomann Saxes are really great horns. Its my understanding that these are from Tenon/Chateau origin and the custom line is from their taiwan plant and the handmade from their vietnamese factory.
That said (no, I can't proove it ;)) I personally would buy one of these. But also true that the yamahas are great horns and will keep their resale value better.
I found the jupiter 700 line also very good. All quality horns

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The better thomann Saxes are really great horns. Its my understanding that these are from Tenon/Chateau origin and the custom line is from their taiwan plant and the handmade from their vietnamese factory.
That said (no, I can't proove it ;)) I personally would buy one of these. But also true that the yamahas are great horns and will keep their resale value better.
I found the jupiter 700 line also very good. All quality horns
thank you for your comments. I was hesitant

1 - 20 of 32 Posts