Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this must have been answered before but I am shopping for a tenor and I noticed that the price on some of the big music retail websites for both the Yamaha Tenor 23 and the 475 are almost identical. Isn't the 475 a step up from the 23? Any thoughts on the Yamaha 23 vs. the 475?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Go to the Yamaha website at the link below:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/sax/tenorsax/

It gives a very good description of the different Yamaha models.

My personal preference would be to go ahead and move up to the 62 pro series if you can afford it. If not, look at the 575 Allegro or the older 52 series. The 52 series are great horns that I believe are really college-level instruments and may be as good as some other company's entry pro model. I bought my son the YTS62II.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
The 475 is a stepup model similar to the 52 series. The 475 I think is the Allegro model. A friend of mine swears by his.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
According to the website, the current Allegro is the YTS-575AL. Why do they always have to change things???? :bluewink:

·
4,315 Posts
Thats probably correct then...I cant keep up with the changes, and especially with yamaha. I know the classics such as 23, 52, 62, 21 etc etc. Yamahas are good horns, but they have the European models as well that have different designations than the American models. I have no idea if there is a real difference however.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There really is no difference between the two. They play and sound the same (kind of crappy and sharp). I'd not recommend either actually, as you could easily get a PRO used horn for what these two Yamaha's go for new....

·
4,315 Posts
I have to disagree about them sounding crappy. I have played some very nice 23 tenors, and I think the 23 series horns are more consistent than the professional Yamahas. I definitely would not buy a new 23 tenor as you can get a used one in good condition for 300-600, and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. BTW I have a very nice 52 tenor for sale at 950. I would say buy a used horn from a reputable seller. There are plenty on here, but it will save you some money.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 52 was discontinued and the 475 replaced it. It is closer to the 62 than it is to the 23. If you have money for a new horn you could do a lot better but shopping for a good used one. There are plenty of used 62's in good condition that would be the last horn you'd need for some time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
follow-up from the OP... yes I am shopping used with sellers that I trust. I like Yamahas and I could pick up a 23 fairly cheap, but I see that there are 475 and
575s (allegro) out there and not sure if they are worth the extra $350 to $500. Is the allegro much different from the 475?

·
4,315 Posts
I would think about it as simply 23 is a student intro horn. Allegro, 475 575 52 intermediate horns, 62 82z 875 pro horns. The main difference between the 23 and intermediate models is the 23 does not have the tilting left hand spatula, and the 23 has nickel plated keywork that is very hard but great for students who may bump or bruise their horn, The 52s and the like have evolved. I have had some 52s that did not have the tilting spatula, but the later models do. Intermediate models usually come with high f# which is not on the 23. The difference between the intermediate models and the pro models is in the manufacturing process, not so much as far as features. You can get an intermediate model with all the options you fins on a 62 or 82z, but they may be made of different alloys or build differently. The intermediate models and pro models have lacquered keywork, not nickel plated. The intermediate models will offer a better "feel" overall than the into model...also intermediate models have plastic pearls as opposed to the real MOP found on the pro models. Any used Yamaha is a sound investment as well, because they will keep their value....the Chinese and Taiwan horns are more difficult to judge as far as them keeping their value.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The model 23 is the same as the 25, but the 25 has high F#. Now the 25 is replaced by the 275. The 32 is replaced by the 475. Then came the pro62 and 62II and the customs models. I personally have a 62 that is a great instrument, and too have a YTS25 of my son. When I overall my 62 I take my son´s 25 to an important gig, and all was amazing. Yamahas are great. Silvio

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
they are all good in my opinion!..the 23,475, and 62!..i prefer the 23 to the 475,but would take the 62! purple logo over others,the 23s were great workhorses, and alot of players still gig out with them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, you'd be good to go with either horn. I've got two 23's, alto an tenor, and I love them. Yamaha's are all around solid horns, so I think either model would do you well for a long time to come. Try to get used if you can, much better value than new, and these horns can take a pretty brutal beating without much wear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I may not be an expert, and I'm buying my first Pro Horn too- but from my research thus far you'd be better of in funds and on happiness if you bought a used Pro Model and made sure you gave it TLC/Love.

While inexperienced, in my opinion, logic says intermediate instruments are silly. (If you're at this level a Pro Horn will last you longer. It is spending less money than if you have to get a Pro Horn when you advance further into it. Especially if you can get a used horn for the same price as a new intermediate. Might as-well go for the better.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts