Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have recently bought a new case for my YTS-575 tenor saxophone. (An excellent horn for anyone wondering) I bought an SKB-450 case off of Guitar center and my Yamaha horn has some wiggle room in the case which is concerning for me as I travel a lot on a bus. My past case (a protec max) Was ok but was a soft case and I was needing a hard shell case. What I was wondering though is if there are any modifications or any place/person I can send it to have my horn fit the case better.

The things I have noticed:

I am able to stick my hand between the back of the bell and the bottom of the case (and beable to wiggle my fingers)
There is alot of space up by the octave mechanism
and the bow of the horn has extra space

Thanks for any advice,

Andrew

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you using an end plug, or a pad-saver that has a protruding stopper end? If yes, and that's not it, then you can add padding in strategic areas. Although I have never tried to fit a Yamaha to a case, both of the cases my Kings are in (Protec XL, Gator GL) required some modification for a custom fit. If the case is going to be your horn's "forever home" then go to town on it!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You can always use a tee shirt or something soft like that to fill gaps and it won't entail modifying the case.
You can wipe off the horn with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using an end plug, or a pad-saver that has a protruding stopper end? If yes, and that's not it, then you can add padding in strategic areas. Although I have never tried to fit a Yamaha to a case, both of the cases my Kings are in (Protec XL, Gator GL) required some modification for a custom fit. If the case is going to be your horn's "forever home" then go to town on it!
How do you recommend modifying the case?

·
Registered
122 Posts
How do you recommend modifying the case?
You could try making pads out of balled up socks (fast & cheap) or try to match up the color/texture of the velvet at a fabric store, and make velvet-over-foam pads to glue into the voids (fancier).

My two Kings had the opposite problem, too bulky. I was able to wooden mallet the cheaper Gator into shape but with the Protec I had to peel back the velvet, remove foam, and glue back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try making pads out of balled up socks (fast & cheap) or try to match up the color/texture of the velvet at a fabric store, and make velvet-over-foam pads to glue into the voids (fancier).

My two Kings had the opposite problem, too bulky. I was able to wooden mallet the cheaper Gator into shape but with the Protec I had to peel back the velvet, remove foam, and glue back.
I have some foam pads at home and a michaels near me, thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll just add that Home Depot sells 1" x 24" x24" pink foam "project panels" that make an excellent firm pad, for example to support the neck tenon, if you need something like that. Very easy to shape with a utility knife and glues well. I built a case for the typewriter out of that stuff and it's lasted 26 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts