Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As will be seen from my signature, I am generally a firm believer in vintage saxophones. I also generally hate playing soprano. A pupil recently purchased a Yamaha straight soprano. I had a go. WOWZA!! What an action and superb intonation. Of course i've heard people rate the Yamaha/Yanagisawa sopranos highly but it really hit home when i tried this thing. I want one. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienecd a similar conversion in the direction of more modern equipment, especially on soprano.

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reedsplinter said:
But RTT: the wife, the wife!
I know. I've been thinking about that. If I can just shift a couple of suitcases of her shoes from under the bed and stow them in the attic that should leave plenty of space for one of those nice soprano cases. [laughs evil laugh :D :D ]

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
With two sops in my stable, a Conn Chu and a SC-992, the Yani is my favorite. There's nothing it can't do well.

Question is Root, can you afford the horn and the divorce? ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
As will be seen from my signature, I am generally a firm believer in vintage saxophones. I also generally hate playing soprano.
Have you ever tried a Buescher True Tone soprano?

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grumps said:
Have you ever tried a Buescher True Tone soprano?
NO! That was what I left out of the equation ;). The only soprano i've played for any length of time is a Jupiter (which i still have but have never really got on with). I often hear the TTs praised. I'd be interested but they seem v pricey (compared to TT altos and tenors).

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Vintage vs Modern? Yes

Old Conn - Hated it!
New Yamaha. Loved it!

·
26,013 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
I'd be interested but they seem v pricey (compared to TT altos and tenors).
For good reason. The altos can have intonation quirks (and yes, there's also a ton of them still out there) and the tenors just aren't as alive as the later Aristocrats. Still, TT sopranos can still be had for between $1,000-$1,500 in the US with their original silver. Fixer-uppers or after-market lacquered jobs even less. My TT is an old curved model that had its original silver buffed off in place of at least one, goopy, after-market lacquer job. It still sang with the best of 'em, but I had it restored and silver plated anyhow, 'cause it was starting to rot. Sure, I could have found another later model with the money I'd spent, but I just loved that horn. Still do, and I'd recommend trying one some day just to see what these old gems can do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I have a TT and a Yani S-6, and there's nary a hair's breadth between them overall. But though I drive a Martin Committee tenor, and a Selmer New Largebore Alto, I think if I had to get sacrifice one sop at the moment it would have to be the Buescher.

Nip down to Essex if you want to try them, Rooty.

·
26,013 Posts
potiphar said:
Definitely take him up on that Rooty. I was lucky to attend such a get together of other SOTW'ers in my state years ago, and we all tried each other's horns. There were about twenty of us though, and you can imagine with some folks bringing a half dozen horns or more, the variety we got to sample. This was an invaluable experience for me prior to upgrading/switching horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
My one straight TT (I have two) and my S992 are equal in my view. I often choose the TT for the authentic look in the New Orleans-style jazz I play.

I've owned a Yamaha soprano (my oldest daughter now has it) and it is a good one - just not to the level of my Yanagisawas. I know the feeling when one first plays a new Japanese soprano - the Yamahas can be alluring. Yet over time, my appreciation of the Yamaha faded to blandness (I know, the topic of other threads elsewhere - I didn't bother to post in them). Not so with my Yanagisawas - they have character for me, a factor missing from any Yamaha I've played. DAVE

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
potiphar said:
I have a TT and a Yani S-6, and there's nary a hair's breadth between them overall. But though I drive a Martin Committee tenor, and a Selmer New Largebore Alto, I think if I had to get sacrifice one sop at the moment it would have to be the Buescher.

That's a v v kind offer, potiphar. I shall bear it in mind over the next couple of months and PM you when i'm headed south - which i am from time to time.

Dave: I know what you mean. I feel that way about the yamaha tenors/altos i've played. I think the real truth behind all this is i haven't played enough sopranos to really know what's out there. I was just bowled over by the yamaha because it was so much better than the soprano I normally play. I know we spend a lot of time round here saying "it's the player" but perhaps because i'm weak on soprano anyway i really noticed a difference on the Yamaha.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
That's a v v kind offer, potiphar. I shall bear it in mind over the next couple of months and PM you when i'm headed south - which i am from time to time. QUOTE]

Tell the wife you have to get your moustache waxed. . . .

·
Registered
784 Posts
All I can say is when the bury me in the ground, my Yani S-6 is coming with me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
That's a v v kind offer, potiphar. I shall bear it in mind over the next couple of months and PM you when i'm headed south - which i am from time to time.

Dave: I know what you mean. I feel that way about the yamaha tenors/altos i've played. I think the real truth behind all this is i haven't played enough sopranos to really know what's out there. I was just bowled over by the yamaha because it was so much better than the soprano I normally play. I know we spend a lot of time round here saying "it's the player" but perhaps because i'm weak on soprano anyway i really noticed a difference on the Yamaha.
Look forward to seeing you (if I'm not in the good old US of wherever it is). I think it takes a slight gear shift to adapt to sop from alto or tenor. Worth the effort though, once it starts sounding good. Which I'm expecting to happen any day now...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I bought my YSS-61 from my teacher in 1977--he was a yamaha clinician and wanted one of then new model YSS-62.

I've never considered another soprano, even one with a front F.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
I bought my YSS-61 from my teacher in 1977--he was a yamaha clinician and wanted one of then new model YSS-62.

I've never considered another soprano, even one with a front F.

Was he still alive at the time?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts