Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to make a decision.
The ZR,or the Z soprano silver?
I know that lots of post talks about them,here and there.
Though you guys that bought some,is the honeymoon still on with your purchase??
Also in this critical time,it will be bought on line,,so no try out.
Any thoughts on which ones?
Top pros play on straight necks,,others too,but again,,other pros prefer the R model...
I like the R ,as far as confort,,and maybe also a little more resistance,,which i like sometimes.
But a thousand dollars difference in the deal that i am looking at.
Both are like demos.
Thanks
Mario

· Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,773 Posts
I dislike the 82Z without the curved neck--I prefer the 82ZR. I find that resistance and comfort are improved with the curved neck soprano. If you like to use a neck strap, it's a little easier with the curved neck. These are personal preferences and may not apply to everyone. It's also one reason I really like the 875EX soprano, which provides both choices. It's six of one and a half dozen of another.

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dislike the 82Z without the curved neck--I prefer the 82ZR. I find that resistance and comfort are improved with the curved neck soprano. If you like to use a neck strap, it's a little easier with the curved neck. These are personal preferences and may not apply to everyone. It's also one reason I really like the 875EX soprano, which provides both choices. It's six of one and a half dozen of another.
Well i do have the choice of both necks on my actual soprano.
And i do prefer the curved neck ,first because I went back using a neck strap,and i really like the feel and confort of the curved neck.
Treu the straight neck has a more open sound,but something about the curved nevk that i like.
Thanks Allen for taking time to give your opinion.
Regards
Mario

1,773 Posts
Well i do have the choice of both necks on my actual soprano.
And i do prefer the curved neck ,first because I went back using a neck strap,and i really like the feel and confort of the curved neck.
Treu the straight neck has a more open sound,but something about the curved nevk that i like.
Thanks Allen for taking time to give your opinion.
Regards
Mario
Mario,
Thanks. I think the curved neck seems like your preference based on what you wrote. It's what I would choose as well.
Kind regards,
Ben

· Registered
2,384 Posts
I am about to make a decision.
The ZR,or the Z soprano silver?
I know that lots of post talks about them,here and there.
Though you guys that bought some,is the honeymoon still on with your purchase??
Also in this critical time,it will be bought on line,,so no try out.
Any thoughts on which ones?
Top pros play on straight necks,,others too,but again,,other pros prefer the R model...
I like the R ,as far as confort,,and maybe also a little more resistance,,which i like sometimes.
But a thousand dollars difference in the deal that i am looking at.
Both are like demos.
Thanks
Mario
Hi Mario,
Well I had (and still do) a Selmer La Voix with the two detachable necks and I always used the curved one as it provides a more comfortable neck position for playing. So, when I purchased my 82ZR I was already sold on the curved neck style. I also ordered the silver after playing the lacquered demo model. The silver is a great model but requires some extra care, basically a wiping down every couple months with a silver polishing cloth. It's a great horn and I have no regrets buying it, but I probably would just buy the basic lacquer model now for easy care.

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mario,
Well I had (and still do) a Selmer La Voix with the two detachable necks and I always used the curved one as it provides a more comfortable neck position for playing. So, when I purchased my 82ZR I was already sold on the curved neck style. I also ordered the silver after playing the lacquered demo model. The silver is a great model but requires some extra care, basically a wiping down every couple months with a silver polishing cloth. It's a great horn and I have no regrets buying it, but I probably would just buy the basic lacquer model now for easy care.
Thanks Reet
I know a little about silver saxes,i did owned an alto VI silver about 10 years ago.
That ,i really don t mond,i know that they do tarnish with weeks,and months.
Sound,and projection and confort,is what i am after..
Though i did played a 62 for over 6 years ,,straight neck,and i was very confortable,i guess these
last few weeks i ve been on my crooked neck,and that made me like it a lot..
Thanks again
Regards
Mario

· Registered
108 Posts
I prefer straight soprano saxophones and I went with the Yamaha 82Z; I've been very happy with it in terms of comfort. I play using a neck strap and I've had no issues.

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer straight soprano saxophones and I went with the Yamaha 82Z; I've been very happy with it in terms of comfort. I play using a neck strap and I've had no issues.
Hi Scott
Today,and tomorrow,i will put back my straight neck.
Like everything else,we all get use to new horns,position,etc.
I played my 62 Ya for over 6 years,with no issues.
So it could be a good experience to go back to my straight neck.
Thanks for the replies.
All the best
Mario

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Allo my friends.
Well,i have tried , and tried,and personally,i am just more at ease,and feels so right on my curved neck.
Maybe a little less free blowing ,or as a bit more resistance,which i like on soprano.
Second,i will a get a ZR next Tuesday probably for a day or two,then will make a decision,if i buy,or not.
Will keep you posted.
All the best
Saxobari

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone.
This week,i did received this beautiful silver soprano Yamaha ZR on trial.
My first impression,just loved the action and feel of this very nice soprano .
Ergonomic is superb,and really liked the left hand palm keys!
Intonation was also very good on it., and the horn was very easy to play.
Curved neck felt very good and confortable.
My regards
Saxobari

1,773 Posts
Hi everyone.
This week,i did received this beautiful silver soprano Yamaha ZR on trial.
My first impression,just loved the action and feel of this very nice soprano .
Ergonomic is superb,and really liked the left hand palm keys!
Intonation was also very good on it., and the horn was very easy to play.
Curved neck felt very good and confortable.
My regards
Saxobari
This is positive news. I hope your positive impressions continue going forward. Good luck.
Best,
Ben

3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Allen and Scott
Really loved the experience into playing this very nice YZR silver horn.
After playing both,my Yana 992 and this YZR side by side for hours and hours,i decided to keep my Yana for now.
Don t get me wrong,i did loved the Yamaha s great quality of construction,action,ergomics,but the sound i just prefer the sound of my Yana. Just like mpcs,and reeds,it is a very personal point of view,and taste.
All the best
Saxobari

1,773 Posts
Thanks Allen and Scott
Really loved the experience into playing this very nice YZR silver horn.
After playing both,my Yana 992 and this YZR side by side for hours and hours,i decided to keep my Yana for now.
Don t get me wrong,i did loved the Yamaha s great quality of construction,action,ergomics,but the sound i just prefer the sound of my Yana. Just like mpcs,and reeds,it is a very personal point of view,and taste.
All the best
Saxobari
I felt the same way when comparing the Yamaha YSS-875EXHG with the YSS-82ZR. I like the YSS-82ZR, but I seem to slightly prefer other sopranos. Thank you for sharing your impressions.
Best,
Ben

· Registered
5 Posts
This question may belong in a soprano-specific thread rather than a Yamaha thread, but I'm here now...

I've considered the 82r due to the lack of the high G. I would like a 2-neck horn, but I can't seem to find a quality instrument with two necks without high G. Thoughts?

· Registered
2,384 Posts
This question may belong in a soprano-specific thread rather than a Yamaha thread, but I'm here now...

I've considered the 82r due to the lack of the high G. I would like a 2-neck horn, but I can't seem to find a quality instrument with two necks without high G. Thoughts?
Well, I have a YSS-82ZR and a Selmer La Voix with two necks. I mostly play the 82Z but when I do play the La Voix I only use the curved neck. The curved neck affords a more comfortable position and I guess I don't hear any difference between the straight and the curved. The La Voix has the high G as well and I don't think I ever use it.

My suggestion is to check out both the 82Z and the 82ZR and make a decision based solely on sound. If they sound the same to you then get the ZR, like I said it's more comfortable. At least it is for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.