Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is a stupid question or not.... I have a YSS-875 non ex. Necks are stamped M1 and M1R, looking at Yamaha's website there there are " S' " in front of the model numbers now, sans the Silver Plated options which come after. If I wanted to step up my Necks to the F or G Series are these necks still "compatible" with my sax seeing as it's older? and would it make a difference depending on Gold Lacquer, Silver Plated, or Gold Plated?

View attachment 226722

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
While I can't speak to Yamaha sopranos (even though I've owned one and played many others), I have two after-market solid-silver Yanagisawa soprano necks - one straight and one curved. I bought them when I had an S992 and an SC902 (straight and curved bronze sopranos with removable necks). I still have the curved Yanagisawa SC902 and I've been using the solid-silver straight neck on it recently.

Neither solid-silver neck makes any difference with the exception that the straight one makes the typical difference that any straight neck makes on a soprano.

I suspect the way the individual neck was made (the manufacturing tolerances) will have more to do with how the neck plays than the individual neck's finish or material. And, probably the reed you use on the day you test those set-ups will matter more than what neck you use. DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts