Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,161 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,161 Posts
You also asked about parts. They have parts.

What’s so special about Yamaha pads? Any brand of pads would be suitable to replace Yamaha pads on a Yamaha saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
There are far better alternatives to the pads Yamaha are currently using on their saxes, unless you happen to like sticky pads.

I put up with the original factory fitted pads on my YAS-875EX for long enough and then repadded it with pads that don't stick and the results were worth it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My tech loves Yamaha pads. They were never, and are still not, waterproofed so they have to be changed more often than "modern" pads.
Hence... he loves them! Keeps him in work!!
Having said that, he feels obliged to change them to non-Yamaha pads to "do the right thing."

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
My tech loves Yamaha pads. They were never, and are still not, waterproofed so they have to be changed more often than "modern" pads.
Hence... he loves them! Keeps him in work!!
Having said that, he feels obliged to change them to non-Yamaha pads to "do the right thing."
I don't know where you're getting that info from, but Yamaha have been using pas made with plastic coated leather on all their saxes for well over 15 years now, so he must have an old stock of original pads that didn't have the plastic coating.

My Yamaha bari still has its original pads from 1990 when it was made which don't have the plastic layer on them which are all in excellent condition as they hardly ever get wet, but the most recent Yamaha saxes (an 875EX alto and an 875 tenor) I bought new back in 2003 and 2004 both have the plastic coated pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts