Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a YTS 52 sax.

Does anyone have a procedure for regulation (i.e. adjusting all of the set screws on the horn)?

I would deduce that one should start at the upper stack and progress downward.

I would appreciate details regarding the exact sequence of which set screw to adjust.

Does Yamaha publish a pamplet regarding the set screw adjustment sequence?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Turning set screws is a very small part of adjusting a sax, so any order of adjustment is going to be far more complicated than you imagine. On a sax, almost every adjustment you make alters something else as well as what you are tying to adjust.

Even those stack key adjusting screws on Yamaha adjust three different things at once. One is elimination of "double action", eg the F key moving some distance before it starts to move the F# key. Another is the venting of the tone holes. And a third is getting two pads, eg F and F# again, to close together. I use those screws mainly for the first, and other techniques for most of the second and third.

Furthermore, the manner that a technician chooses, to make all those NON-screw adjustments, has a significant effect on the order of doing things.

Just one apprach is outlined in post 4 at http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=507033#post507033

1 - 2 of 2 Posts